Questions from newbie

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Gator_Titan, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Gator_Titan

Gator_Titan Full Member

whats up guys? i admittedly don't know a whole lot about car audio and i have a few questions. i have a nissan titan and am looking to get a system installed. i have a guy who is going to build me a custom box for a fair price but i need to know what kind of subs and amp i should get. i wanna get 2 10's and i dont wanna spend much more than $500. any advice would be much appreciated. thanks

2. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

first question I am going to ask is how much mounting depth do you have to work with in that box and what is the internal air volume.. and is it sealed or ported. Then I can try to give you a sub amp combo in your price range.

3. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

or what.. looks like you are going to build the box to the subs.. heh yeah didnt read it all the way. Anyways, still how much mounting depth do you have to work with? behind the seats or under the seats or something?

4. txhardhittaz

txhardhittaz Full Member

I think the most is 5 or 6 inches...I pmed you back Gator

5. Gator_Titan

Gator_Titan Full Member

well im not sure exactly what the depth is and all that cuz its either going to be a custom box for the subs or one of three different boxes that ive found online. ill post those dimensions below. thanks for the help guys.

The first one is from SuperCrewSound and it says airspace is .75 cubic feet per sub with a mounting depth of 5 5/8".

The second one gives me the following dimensions:
    Mounting Depth - 5 3/4"
    Width: 51 1/8"
    Height: 9 5/8"
    Top Depth: 13 1/2"
    Box Depth: 13 3/4"

The third one has:
    mounting depth: 5.25"
    air space: .85 ea

Also, this is a set up i might be looking at. If you guys could look at it and tell me if it would be a good deal and what amp i would need to run it that would be great also.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MTX-THUNDERFORM...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140060436099

6. Gator_Titan

Gator_Titan Full Member

what the hell.. i just tried to reply but it didnt work the first time... ill try to remember what i posted lol.

anyways, im not positive about dimensions b/c its either going to be built custom for the subs or im going to get one of any of three other boxes i found online. ill post the info on them below for you.

the first one is listed as:
    mounting depth: 5.25"
    air space: .85 ea

the second one says:
    Air Space = .75 cubic feet per sub
    Mounting depth = 5 5/8"

the third one lists:
    Mounting Depth - 5 3/4"
    Width: 51 1/8"
    Height: 9 5/8"
    Top Depth: 13 1/2"
    Box Depth: 13 3/4"

also, i found this deal online that i might go with. if one of you guys could check it out and tell me if its a good deal, and if so what amp i would need to run it. thanks a lot guys
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MTX-THUNDERFORM...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140060436099

7. Gator_Titan

Gator_Titan Full Member

well i just realized that it says a mod has to approve my post so i apologize for the double posts :) im new here what can i say

well there will be double posts as soon as they are approved... does anyone know why some posts have to be approved and others dont?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  8. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Your approved man! You should not have any issues posting anymore.......sorry, hard to keep up with this at times!!!!

9. TheViking

Ohj, the reason is because we are hit really hard with a bunch of SPAM BS........

10. Gator_Titan

Gator_Titan Full Member

thanks viking, not a problem, although im new to this site (just found it today actually lol) im really lovin it and its clear that a lot of these guys know their stuff, including you. (not trying to be a kiss ass or anything lol i just appreciate people with knowledge) anyways, i just cant wait til someone gets me some answers and i can go get myself a system! thanks

11. TheViking

I am not famiiar with the titan, It is a pick up? right?

anyway.....you need to look at your allowable box volume first, you know, figure out what size box you can fit in the cab, THEN figure out what subs will work in it the best. DONT go out and buy a set of subs, hoping they will work good......buy subs that fit your volume requirements. Whether its SQ or SPL, you need a sub that fits your needs, you will be much happioer!!!!!!!!

A sub in the wrong box will sound "peaky" not jhit the low notes and generally sound like crap. An 8 incher in the RIGHT box will outperform SQ wisw a 12 in the wrong box....i would rather hear an 8 play 30 Hz accurately than a 12 playing 50 Hz as its lowest frequency.......

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Gator...I think you'll like it here...we screw around a lot and like to have fun....but keep it real and are serious when needed

13. TheViking

I especially like keeping it real and serious wih your mom, well, she does too..........:p :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK OK!!!!! off topic, sorry, not really!

14. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

haha...Damn you...man I wonder what noobs think when they first come here and read all of our posts...especially the neverending thread...lol

Prolly somewhere along the lines of "what the fuuck is going on here??"

15. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

16. Gator_Titan

Gator_Titan Full Member

oh thats cool man, ill have to find out how much the powered ones go for. ive only seen the unpowered ones on ebay but ill keep looking. so do you guys think that would be my best bet or are there others out there that you think would be better.

Viking - i posted the dimensions that i could find for boxes that specifically fit the titan. is there more info you guys need to help me out? just lemme know and ill look it up :)

a guy (dealer) on another forum told me he could hook me up with 2 kicker l7's with a custom box for 350, is that a good deal or no?

thanks for all your help guys, i can tell i like these forums already and i just hope you guys dont get tired of all my questions too fast. haha

17. TheViking

the dimensions????????where??????

18. Gator_Titan

Gator_Titan Full Member

lol well ive got the airspace and mounting depth listed for 2 boxes and the actual dimensions for a third. its on the first page of this thread. its the post you had to approve lol

19. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-swdR8d....asp?g=520&tab=essential_info&i=218RSD10D#Tab

these only need 4-7/8" mounting depth once you remove the magnet cover and 5-1/3" about if you leave it on and only need 0.3-0.5 air in a sealed enclosure to run right. Sounds like a nice sub for your application. You can get single 4 or dual 4 voice coils. I was having a hard choice between these subs and the AA Assassin subs.. I would recommend those but they are a bit tall for your application.

20. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

if you can get 2 L7's and a box for 350 thats a really good deal for the money.. assuming you like the way L7's sound.