Power locks only work for 2 driver side doors...

Discussion in 'Car Repair' started by 92civicproblems, Oct 11, 2008.

1. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

jon did you ever get that problem fixed with the other car, i never heard back from you.

2. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

3. jonnyv713

o dang! sorry. ya, it was the ignition module.

4. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

Glad to know that it wasn't one of those magic fixes that fix themselves... Those can be quite un nerving

5. 92civicproblems

92civicproblems Full Member

Okay, I'm gonna work on exactly what you said after school tomorrow I just have one quick question. Is all this gonna be in the door?

6. jonnyv713

ya, we got her fixed and now we are looking at a 84 red vette that was in a reck and has a bad fuel pump. its really rough but for 3500 its a base for a toy. big pistons, more air, more gas = fun! lol but back on topic, no thread jacking!

7. 92civicproblems

lol I don't care what you guys talk about as long as you don't ignore me lol

8. jonnyv713

ok cool, lol but look at those pics, i like to hear what people think about it.

9. 92civicproblems

Dang dude you restored that thing super good! That's one sexy car right there

10. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

The actuator yes, the power door lock control module not so sure. For Now when you get the door panel off, take a picture of the actuator before you go any further because we, and anyone else in here needs to get our bearings. Plus we can walk you through a little better.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  11. jonnyv713

thanks, i didnt really restore it, i just fixed the front end, buffed it, and put a stereo in it. this summer im puttin in a new motor and doin a whole new paint job. i found rims, now i gotta get my liscence and tires. i think like 27 more days.

12. 92civicproblems

Oh dang, still beast dude. What motor you bout to drop in there?

13. 92civicproblems

Awesome thanks so much for walkin me through this. When I get home I'll take my driver side door panel off (with care) and snap some pics and upload em real fast.

14. jonnyv713

im wantin to put in a chevy 355 with 10:1 compression, big heads, and highlift roller cam with headers small mufflers and turndowns, no tubing for the exhaust, thats it lol. its gonna be a crazy motor! im also gonna eliminate all the unnecessary things under the hood. I cant wait! lol

15. 92civicproblems

Dang lol sounds good. Can't wait to see it when it's finished!

16. 92civicproblems

Okay, I got the door panel off (driver side) and there seems to be 3 wires descending from the lock/unlock switch. One is black and runs somewhere to the center of the door inside the plastic covering with a whole bunch of other wires. There are also to green wires (one with red and one with white) that lead to the off white box (door lock control) in the north east corner of the door. I wanted to wait to see what you said before I ripped off the plastic covering.

Shouldn't I be looking at the passenger side door since that's the one that's broken? Just asking because I have no clue if there is another control box or actuator on the passenger side door.

Anyways... Here is some pics to help you better grasp what I'm seeing here..
    [​IMG]
    Here is the lock/unlock switch with the black and green wires..

[​IMG]
    Obviously an overview of my driver side door with the panel removed..

[​IMG]
    This is the door lock control box that the (2) green wires lead to.

[​IMG]

And this is where the black wire leads to... this jumbled mess here in the center under the plastic covering that I want to make sure I should dig into before I make the mistake of doing so without need.

Thanks so much for you help tyrant and the rest of you guys.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  17. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

with power locks, the driver side has a master for the power locks. on the passenger side there is kinda like a slave for the power locks. that's what your going to have to change. they are relatively cheap to change. Happens in my brother's CRV all the time. don't know where i found them online before but i think the part is like $10 to $15.

18. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

There is your answer right there, thanks cullen, I aint too familiar with hondas. That will save you some time.

Cullen has a point too, one way you can look at it is that in almost everything such as power locks, they are intertwined, and if two out of four work, it likely isn't going to be the wiring.

You could also get the part cheap from a u-pull but you never know the condition of those.

And basically those other jumbles that run back into the door... are the ones that are going to be connecting to the slave. I think...

19. 92civicproblems

Ok thanks a lot guys I'll see what I can do.

20. 92civicproblems

Okay so I take the passenger side door panel off expecting to find this "slave" for the power locks. What I find is an empty hole! I don't know if something is actually supposed to go there but I'm guessing there was something there previously due to the plastic covering ripped away from that spot. I also spotted a connector between two wires that seemed to have literally burnt out.

Here are some pictures to better illustrate my findings.

[​IMG]
    Here is the unplugged connector that leads to the power window switch.

[​IMG]
    Here is the empty hole where the "slave" is probably supposed to be.

[​IMG]
    And here is the connector that nearly melted the plastic covering off when it short circuited or whatever it did.

Hope this helps you guys get a better grip of where I'm at right now. Thanks so much for your help.