Orion HCCA 2100 Competition Amplifier

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by electrolytic, Apr 5, 2007.

1. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Hey, you didn't mention about the gain or clipping lights. Are you able to turn the gain right up? Also are the clipping lights flickering? I can only bring my gain to just under 3/4 and the clipping lights are going crazy. If you can turn your gain to full then you probably have a weak signal from your HU and line converters. It sounds like you are running it at half power somehow, maybe the sub is wired 8 ohms by mistake. If it ends up there is a problem with the amp i will buy it off you, wouldn't mind having an extra for parts.

2. AlfaNewB

AlfaNewB Full Member

if its not on an orion manual i dont believe in those specs, yes my box is ported. the amp led do flicker, i have the eq on the amp set to mono. i get bass that sounds like a tone of over 80 hz, the only time i get low bass is when i play songs from like young jeezy.

ifi play a tone cd, liek the ones that have test tones from 30 hz and up it playes all. but any bass lower then 80Hz is very hard to hear. i use to have a jetta with a 15inch sub mounted where the spare tire use to be and i use to get bass out of songs that didnt have bass, and the amp was tuned realllly low. but with this setup i have now, i only get hard bass or mid bass, i dotn get any of that low end bass that im craving for. btw my amp runs cold onthe power section but on the RCA section it runs warm and thats after paying pink floyd the wall - hey you. really louddddd.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  3. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

So you have a DD9500 in a sealed box???

4. AlfaNewB

AlfaNewB Full Member

no i already answered that its PORTED

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Oh lol...sorry I suck at reading sometimes.

What are the specs of your enclosure??

6. AlfaNewB

AlfaNewB Full Member

16" x 30" x 26"

my port is 37 1/2 " long, and the width is over 1" under 1 1/2" imnot good with measurements

7. AlfaNewB

AlfaNewB Full Member

if i were to use a bigger box it would not fit, and i would have no room for the amps

8. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Mine plays all the notes, it sounds to me like the signal it's getting from the rcas has a crossover on it and it is trying to cut the low end frequencies out. Did you try your other amp on the same setup?

9. AlfaNewB

AlfaNewB Full Member

well i just replaced the amp and im now using the soundstream rubicon 1002, the bass changed dramatically. im much happier now, i just have to fine tune it

10. AlfaNewB

AlfaNewB Full Member

yes i was using a crossover on the orion and it was set at 50 hz. i was also using a PG bass cube. now witht he rubbicon i removed the ccrossover since its built inthe amp, and i kept the PG bass cube. im much happier now. im sure my box isnt exactly in spec. since my trunk space is sooo small. it took me 2 hours to get the box inthe trunk

11. AlfaNewB

AlfaNewB Full Member

im thinking of selling the orion since i haev no use for it, unless i can run it at 1 ohm everyday

12. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

what are looking to get for it? I doubt you can run it everyday at 1 ohm, viking pretty well scolded me about this, i wanted to do the same as you also run it hard and furious lol.

13. AlfaNewB

AlfaNewB Full Member

ive seen them go from 700 to 1000, now mine has a couple of scrtatches, and i have to cut out a socket from my freaking alfa and make sodder wires. the socket is removable. i did not sodder anything on to the board. socket "plug" whatever you guys call it. the amp and fan functions. the eq and mono switches work, also when i first got the amp i took it apart, and inspected everything, it looked intact to me, i also cleaned outt he dust and all that crap that was onthe fins. i didnt not remove the board form the chassi. i cant rememebr what fuse size is inthere. i never ever blew any fuses on my setup. and i also never pushed the gain over 75%. the amp never got hot. and now i need some pics, i just need a camera ill try to post that on the weekend. after i post the pics we will discuss prices, btw which city are you in?

14. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

ok, i'm in toronto, canada eh lol, i'll pay for shipping if we do the deal. Where are you at?

15. AlfaNewB

AlfaNewB Full Member

wow im in los angeles, city granada hills. thats pretty damn far

16. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

oh ok lol, hmmm my sister is in california somewhere, all i can remember is she's in the valley, maybe can meet her or send to her.

17. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Studio City, California is that close to you?

18. AlfaNewB

AlfaNewB Full Member

yeah that about 15 to 20 minutes very close to me. sweet then ill post pics of it over the weekend and then well decided on a price and drop off

19. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

lol, it's a small world!!