My Midbass Plans!!!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Feandil, Feb 12, 2004.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Oh and by the way, I want to clarify this a bit. The Qts is borderline, favoring ported. But the low Fs should allow it to be quite comfortable sealed.

2. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

You got it ;)

I always post pics so that people don't think I'm a lying SOB :p

The 2 18" SX's in my rear seat (well where it used to be :D) in my new (new to me that is) thunderbird should be here soon and I'll get to work on the enclosure.

Probably middle March the kicks and components will be installed. The subs come first..... 2 18" SXs off of 2400 watts in a half fiberglass enclosure (around 11 cubes).

then the pods..... My pod idea is gorgeous btw :D

3. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

This is a pretty majorly loud sub setup. I want loud ass comps so I can still enjoy music :D

2 AV8s per side.... crazy? <_<

Nah....

But I'm still looking into some options right now.... so far of all the setups I've graphed the dual AV8s are the loudest.... I might just go with 1 AV8 in a 1 cube pod ported, but we'll see.....

I'm also considering 2 Dayton Aluminum 7" for only $17 a piece. 4.2 mm one-way and they like small ported stuff.....

hmmmm :blink:

4. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

/hehehe

After looking at confusious's remarks on the DD midbass, I was thinking how about 2 DD 6.5s per side? ported like at 55 hz in 1 cube?

Or would one a side give crazy enough midbass :)

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Eh, I've heard mixed reviews about the DDs. Primarily they roll off too quickly. Others have said they are very peaky and very sloppy, and I don't know. I was going to get a set before the Kodas came out, but with all the so-so and not-so good reviews I decided against them. It seems to me as if someone here (or someone who used to be here) had the DD65 and changed to the Koda6 and they said the Koda6 spanked the shit out of the DD65.

I can't personally say, as I haven't had my hands on them, but going from a PL10 down to a DD65, that is a huge drop.

6. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

:D

Thanks seth... After graphing it the DD w6.5 doesn't hold up against other choices.

I was told to make a door pod for the mid, and have the kick pod for the midrange and tweet. Is this ideal for a 3 way setup?

I realized I'm dropping a lot from my orginial plan. :(

The problem is the more I look at it the more expensive it seems. The PL 10" wasn't that much, but then I started looking at high sensitivity drivers and such.

I graphed the Koda earlier and it gave a fantastic response for a small ported door pod, and got similarly loud as a dual DD6.5 setup....

I'm still deciding... Dual Kodas per side will be expensive :(

7. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

That is my personal feeling, midbass in door ans midrange/tweets in pod. The midrange and tweets are more directional than the midbass.

High efficiency drivers usually need larger enclosures also, so keep that tin mind. Iron's law ;) .

8. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

:p Yea I'm trying to remember that

I can work with that setup but a single driver is all I can go with then if I'm building door pods.

graphing the koda next to the PL 10" yields the same output above 90 hz. With the PL going lower (flat into the 50s) I can deal with a single Koda I guess... It'll like a smaller box anyway....

I'm disappointed now I can't have a big ass midbass....

Would it sound bad to have the midrange and tweet in a door pod? I really want a dual midbass setup or big midbass setup in kickpods :(

Thanks again Seth

9. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

Alright...

After reading PointSource's comments on the RMB8 Kicker's mid, I'm really considering them. (he said "they are really really really loud") I can't find any T/S specs for them so I can't graph them next to the Koda.

I'm pretty much dropping the dual Koda/AV8/DD6.5 idea. It's down to either the Koda in .3 cubes ported or the RMB8 in a similar box.... both are cheap enough.... both go low enough.... both would get 100 watts. which would be louder and which would sound better?

Thanks Seth in advance :D

10. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

Also add the CX62 from ID to that list.... :eek:

11. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Haven't heard either of those drivers so I cannot say.

Don't be fooled. The Koda in car is very flat below 50Hz. I have run mine full range and they do very well below 50 in an IB install. Mine are currently crossed at 50.

12. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

I wish I had the money to try both....

But I've gotten great feedback on the RMB8 from Tracy and Pointsource. The ID's are out based on what people have said (no pronounced midbass). I finally got the T/S specs on the RMB8 and it graphs rather peaky in the ported box I was using. The Koda has a great flat response, but the RMB8 gets 4 db louder at the lower frequencies when both are in "ideal" small boxes (.2 for Koda and .5 for RMB8 both tuned to 50 hz)

The RMB8's are only $110 shipped new per PAIR. So I'll try them out... If I'm disappointed I'll step up to the Kodas

Thanks once again seth for helping me figure this shit out. Come to Charlotte I'll buy ya dinner :p