Hey all. I have one :D

Discussion in 'Automotive PC (Computer)' started by saahild, Apr 29, 2008.

1. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Nice, Thanks, yes will put pics, won't be for a while though. Can i tap into the car's computer after it's hooked up?

2. saahild

saahild Full Member

Depends on your car... What year is it?

3. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

1996 ford taurus 3.0

4. saahild

saahild Full Member

Hmm I think that is border line. It was something like 1995-1996 that they started using OBD2 which can be plugged straight into the computer. And you can use that data to monitor things and have a cool head up display too :D.

5. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

haha, this is going to be sick! Ok, i think i'll start with this, need a motherboard for it. I do have a plug/socket under my steering wheel that i can get codes out of from the car's computer. This is an amd 64 3500+

Attached Files:

6. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

monitor? Nice space for it where my glovebox is..

Attached Files:

7. saahild

saahild Full Member

ohh you could build a USB volume knob that u can use to control your music.

8. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

I was going to run the monitor off of a 400 watt dc-ac converter i have without the touchscreen. Just a regular home lcd monitor. Then run the computer off of your dc-dc regulator with a keyboard and mouse. Maybe bring the wireless transmitter up to the dash.

9. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

---------------

Attached Files:

10. saahild

saahild Full Member

But when driving wouldnt it be a bit hard to control?? Let me dig up a link. Basically what it does is you plug it into your USB and you con control volume and skipping tracks via the knob. Like the BMW control thingy.

11. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

yeah electro that sounds safer than what you may have planned.

12. pedro quiroga

been thinking...

i still have my compaq presario lap top. can i hook a lilliput touch screen to it?

and will it control it like normal?

13. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

No nothing for you Pedro haha, just messing with ya. Yes that's what i want to know too, can i control the rest of the computer with the liliput touchscreen?

14. pedro quiroga

well ive been giving it some thought. as nice as it seems i already have all that i need in my truck.

cd player
    ipod
    gps
    sat radio

lap top for movies (never while driving of course).

maybe one day in another vehicle.

15. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Common pedro, embrace the future, do not let it scare you haha, i'm going with a 17" widescreen right where my glovebox is. It can tilt out from the bottom when i want to use it.

16. pedro quiroga

17 inches is just not practical. why not an in dash screen

17. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Attached Files:

18. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Attached Files:

19. pedro quiroga

and those do what exactly?

20. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

This connects to a plugin i have under my steering wheel for the car's computer, usually hooks up to a diagnostic testor to get codes out of the car to see what's wrong with it. It looks like it can plugged straight into a computer tower with the usb. So i would have control of the car's computer or at least see what it's doing.