Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by teamkfed, May 17, 2010.

1. teamkfed

teamkfed Member

Hey everyone,

I'm new so bear with me...I built a custom box for my 12 inch W3. I looked up the recommended internal volume for a sealed enclosure. It was something like 1.25 sq. ft. Well I built it way to big physical (it didnt fit in my car) and internally. Once I trimmed a bit of the ends it fit but all I heard was the sound of the woofers moving.. I am now getting pretty close. i moved the sides in about 3 to 4 inches... but i have a new problem one sub sounds great when the other is not working??? I removed one sub from the cab and the lefts sounds amazing. then i replace it an the volume goes down?? i know it has something to do with air and not power because i disconnected the right and just put it in the sub in the opening and the same thing happened.

Im nearly one hundred percent possitive that it is perfectly sealed. SO im pretty sure that is not the problem. This is probably really confusing so just lemme know if you need further explanation.

Any Ideas of what i can do?

Thanks,
    TeamKFed

2. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

It sounds like it is out of phase. maybe... idk if i followed everything.

3. teamkfed

teamkfed Member

yeah i thought about that. How do I fix it?

4. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

out of phase means one woofer is wired backwords, meaning the wires are going from + on the amp to the - on the woofer and - on the amp to + on the woofer. The other woofer is wired ok, so you will have 1 woofer pushing and 1 woofer pulling. You need to pull all the wiring from the woofers to the amp and make sure they are all wired proplerly, all positves to positives and all negatives to negatives, that should help your problem of cancelation.

5. teamkfed

teamkfed Member

the only problem with that is they are wired in series... and one of them works. I think there may be a volume difference within the two compartments. I'm gonna making the left speakers volume a little smaller.

6. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

So you have 2 and what voice coil config. are they?

7. teamkfed

teamkfed Member

its two w3 4ohm single voice coil.. both positives back to positive terminal.. both negatives to negative terminal... if thats what you wanted

8. teamkfed

teamkfed Member

so this is weird.

Left Amp (MONO) Right
    -------------------------------------- Pos -------------------------------|
    | ----------------------------------- Neg --------------------------- |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    + - - +

this is how it was set up.. but i think this threw it out of phase. cuz i switched the pos and the neg and now it works fine. so the "right" sub, even though its mono, now has a neg wire on its pos terminal. it works fine now.

Thanks jonnyv713 for the solution and fstrfvo for the explanation

9. teamkfed

teamkfed Member

it messed up my diagram when i posted that oops. well the last two -+ are supposed to be at the end