cumputer help?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by bigcam, Mar 3, 2009.

1. bigcam

bigcam Full Member

i have a dell laptop with widows vista. i have been having all kinds of problems with this thing. it locks up all the time to the pont where i cant do the ctrl alt delete trick ether. if im on it to long it wont let me right click on any thing. internet explor has errors all the time and shuts down. i did go threw and deleted cookies cleaned the disk defraged every thing i can think of. it been doing this for a long time now and its get worse. last night i down loaded stopzilla spyware thing and it found 3 problems and suposably fixed them but after it was done it really screwed things up changed all my colors and icons web browser so i uninstalled it then my colors and icons went back to what they was. also about 2 weeks ago some one taped in to my computer and got my card # and used it on a few sites. im still trying to get my money back on that deal.

can any one help me get this thing to work right and able to keep my card info safe?

2. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Hey, sounds like you got a big mess there lol. Is the explorer error, windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close? Well either way if someone brought that computer to me to fix i wouldn't even bother messing with it, i would just reformat the hard drive and install windows fresh. Norton internet security is pretty well the king of protection and antivirus although i am now using a couple new ones to me and they are awesome too. System Mechanic, comes with everything also AVG is very good now, the latest versions have really stepped up to the plate. If you have the vista cd i would format the hard drive, meaning all your info is gone, so back up everything first and reinstall windows. There are many programs to try and clean this stuff out but there is always bits and pieces left behind that run in the background and screw things up.

3. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

4. bigcam

bigcam Full Member

yea its a real mess im about to fix it my way witch involves a hammer but this thing cost me way to much for that lol when i went to read your post here my hole computer shut down i dont know why it just did. then some screen showed up saying there was some kind of problem and was doing some then els to fix it. i couldnt read it all because it went so fast. i get one thing read and it said derrick@caraudiotalk.com ?? i dont understand this computer stuff at all.

now how would i go about saving my info on my computer befor i run the vista disc? then what do i have to do with the disc and stuff?

im so lost i know i must sound really retarded when i talk computer stuff.

5. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Well you probably have to burn a cd if you have vids or pictures to save which can be complicated if you've never done it before. There is a way to restore windows while keeping your info, i can't remember right now which button to push and keep pushing quickly when you first turn on your computer, if you catch it in the first few seconds of turning on your computer it will take you to a restore screen or format screen. There will be 2 options, one to reinstall windows fresh and one to reinstall windows while keeping your info. Choose the last one. I'll get back which key it is, i think it's F2 or F3 or maybe F11 lol.

6. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

what's the model and number of your computer?

7. bigcam

bigcam Full Member

would you be willing to give me your phone # and walk me threw it? i have never done any thing like that befor. im more or less like trying to tell your grama how to do it. that how little i know about computers

8. bigcam

bigcam Full Member

inspiron 1525 dell

9. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

here this is the easier way. Borrowed from here,

http://www.cyberwalker.com/article/724/46

Easy reinstall for Windows Vista

Let's get started with an easy reformat and reinstall. We're not going to leave the Windows Vista desktop or mess with the BIOS here.

The downside is that you won't destroy all your data and it will get saved in a folder called Windows.old. The upside is you don't have to mess with scary BIOS settings.

Let's get started. From the Windows Desktop, load the Vista DVD into the system's optical drive. It should auto-start. Or it might open a dialog box that asks for you to Run Setup. Choose that option.

If it doesn’t, click the circular Windows button, then click Computer and then double-click your DVD drive that contains the disc.

The User Account Control (UAC) warning will trigger, so click Allow. When the installation window opens, choose Install Now. If your Internet connection is working, select Go Online to Get the Latest Updates for Installation (Recommended).

The installer will look online for operating system updates and download them for you. It also finds drivers and any fixes needed for the process.

Next, you’ll see a screen that asks for the Vista product key. It is on a label on the Vista packaging or it also could be on a sticker on the bottom of your laptop (in those cases if your system came with Vista pre-installed.

If you are inclined to accept the legal agreement that you see next, click I Accept and click Next.

On the next screen choose choose Custom to wipe the hard drive clean. Now you’ll see drive locations where a fresh copy of Windows can be installed. Your existing installation will be on the largest disk, marked Disk 0.

If you have multiple disks on your system you'll see something like:

Disk 0 Partition 1 (C:)
    Disk 0 Partition 2 (E:)
    Disk 0 Partition 3 (F:)
    If your computer maker put restore information on a partition on your hard drive, you'll see a tiny partition or the partitions may be numbered beginning with 2.

Choose a partition and click Next. You might see a note that warns you that a copy of Windows that exists on the partition. This is good -- it means you are about to destroy your existing copy of Vista and replace it with a new one.

Click Next. You'll see the warning message: “The partition you selected contains a previous Windows installation”. Click OK to confirm. The install DVD then wipes the partition and installs a fresh copy of Vista. Old data is saved in a file called Windows.old.

In this process, the screen will show tasks it is doing. Toward the end of the installtion, the PC will reboot a couple more times until you get an almost-complete Windows Vista installation.

There will be a few more tasks to take care of and a new admin account to create, but you're mostly done. Follow through until you boot into a new, fresh and squeaky clean copy of Windows Vista Congrats!

Be sure to run the Windows Update when you are done to get all the latest drivers and fixes.

If you system appears to be missing drivers, you will have to locate and install them. This Windows Driver Update article explains what a driver is, and how to find and download driver updates easily. Includes a program that does it for you

10. bigcam

bigcam Full Member

i dont know if i should even try this by my self i would probly screw it up and couldnt get it to work agan. lol

11. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

You could run into issues maybe with drivers for video or sound but if you have the original cds that came with the computer you would be ok but it is a little complicated lol. There is one more thing you can try is system restore if it's turned on in your computer you can go back to an earlier date when your computer wasn't so messed up like say 5 months ago. You will only be able to do this if it's turned on. Not sure if vista is the same location as xp but it would be under-- My Computer/Control Panel/System and click on the System Restore tab and see if it's on. If it is you can go back a few months and restore the computer to the point it was at 5 months ago. You will lose some info whatever was new in that 5 months.

12. bigcam

bigcam Full Member

i finally found what your talking about its just named a little differnt. any ways im thinking more along the lines of completly redoing the hole computer like you first said. now if i go that route how do i save the info i want to like on a disk or some then? or do i need some kind of memery card? all im really wanting to save is some music i down loaded and all my pics i have on here. thats really the only stuff i haved saved on this computer that i would want to save. i can right down all the web links i have saved (witch ant very many) on paper.

13. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

It will save your documents and stuff under a folder called c\old windows, if you throw everything you want saved into my documents it will be easier to find later. But make sure you are reinstalling windows over top of the original, it will warn you saying there is already windows on that partition. If you get this warning then your on your way, that is the correct partition to reinstall windows. It's usually called drive C or Partition C, it will be the biggest partition you see. Maybe you should print the instructions i posted earlier or write them down they are pretty straight forward.

14. bigcam

bigcam Full Member

wouldnt it be better to wipe every thing out on this computer insted of saving stuff? i mean thats what it sounded like on your first post i think:confused:

15. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Well a complete format is the best but i'm afraid your going to run into problems, it might require you wiping the bios and you definitly don't want to go there lol. One wrong move and your computer won't boot up anymore. I think vista requires you to wipe the bios for this. If you had xp it's a different story

16. bigcam

bigcam Full Member

umm whats a bios ? now your scaring me. wana take a drive up here and fix it for me? lol

17. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Bios is a chip on the motherboard which has info that tells the motherboard what to do lol. Try the system restore, you can't really do any damage that way, go back like 4 months if you can.

18. bigcam

bigcam Full Member

ok but how do i save the stuff i want to keep that i added in the last 4 months? save it to a disk? and how do i do it?

19. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

you gotta burn a cd

20. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

lol, have you burned one before?