Best Recent Vintage Speakers + Amps to buy

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by elanman, Apr 6, 2013.

1. elanman

elanman New Member

Hello There. I am looking for the best used 5 1/4 in speakers (preferrably with a tweeter built into the middle) to upgrade my Infinity Reference' ones as well as an Amp to upgrade my Alpine 3553.

Debating between ADS, PPI, US Amps (TU-Series), Audison, Genesis, etc... Mostly from the 90s or early 00s (When most of these were still made in the US, Japan, or Europe). I want something more powerful and ultra clear with little as possible distortion.

And in terms of speakers: A/D/S vs. PPi vs. MB Quart vs. Dynaudio vs. Morel, etc...

Unfotunately it would be difficult to listen to any of these before buying and I will mostly be looking on Craigslist and eBay. I recently listened to a pair of ADS L1290 towers and fell in love with that sound, the imaging, clarity, was quite amazing so something compareable would be great.

Thank You!

2. elanman

elanman New Member

Soooooooo... I ended up doing a trade and getting an Audio Art 260.6xe, some old school Rockford Fosgate Audiophile 5.25" Mids, Pioneer Premier Tweeters from the 90s that were made in Japan, and Boston Pro crossovers. Do you think that I will have a problem since the component set is not matched? Should I just use the amp and buy a different component set? If so which of the ones I listed in my previous post (MB Quart RSC 213 OR DSF213, MMATS PRO 5.0, PHD MF 5.1 Kit, Aura MR2 (Braxial Neoradial), Rainbow SLX 230) would work best with this amp? I should mention I don't like high pitched sounds. I have some KEF Reference Model Ones for in home now and they are way too high pitched, I also listened to some high end Boston Acoustics before and found them way too bright as well... However ADS speakers for the house were the best I ever heard...Thank you!