4 Fi Audio IB3 18's walled off 15Hz tune in a VAN BUILD LOG

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by kryptonitewhite, Feb 28, 2010.

1. kryptonitewhite

kryptonitewhite Full Member

:D yeah dudes! I'm so excited! Now i gotta figure out how Im gonna fit these front stage speakers in, seal them off, and also brace the wall

2. kryptonitewhite

front stage

[​IMG]

so it's being said that gauge must be measured by wire, not jacket included, but everyone has the same reaction...looks small for 0. So which is it?

3. kryptonitewhite

I've got aprx 105 cubes before port displacement and wheel well/ AC condensor, heater core, subs, amps, and bracing.

20" X 50" port (55" total, 5" will stick out like my HT) is over 9 cubes displ... so 88 total, about 22 cubes per sub...same as my Aztek box. My aztek had a 7.5" diameter port for 44" of area, where 20" is 314/4= 78.5" per sub :D

4. kryptonitewhite

so my neighbor used to peek and stare every time he passed while I was working...weve become friends and he has 3 12" CVR's...single 4ohm...sealed. He has a rockford t1500 that fried...all 3 subs were parallel LOL. So I sold him one of my amps and ordered another one. we runnin that bitch at 6 friggen ohms. it's louder than his rockford was. we're gonna IB his trunk with them this weekend so ill make a build log of that later. the fuse holder that came with the BNIB amp had bad burn marks on the inside where the power wire makes its contact! Everything looks and works fine though. Now I'm nervouse I wont get a 4th amp for a while after the build is complete :(

anyway,

I made 2 of 3 baffles today, put 1 in on the backside of the wall frame so that I can mark out everything and add more bracing easily. Its hard to see from the pics, but theres a sub in each corner then a 22" port line. 22" is retarded. The 18's look tiny now. Anyway, my tuning was too high and after mapping things out I decided I can squeeze a bigger port to raise tuning and add area... but a quick run in ISD still shows 12.35Hz so I'll have to shorten the port a little. At the top there are 2 6.5" 2x4's coming down then connected with a 16" wide. On the bottom I made 2 triangles. It's the best I can do...so I decided I'm gonnatripple baffle the front still, but put a 4th on the back of the 6" wide bracing so I can caulk and screw together to hold and support the bracing. I'll lose a little more airspace, so maybe I wont have to shorten the port after all.

baffle board on the back side, pic from the back looking in

[​IMG]

from inside looking back... port cutout line and the outline of the top support

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bottom 2 supports

[​IMG]

more of the same

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

really, I just cant put the baffle boards in front where they are supposed to be cuz they wont fit through the doors, and I cant put them in through the back cuz the supports are in the way..I cant take the supports out cuz they are holdig the roof up..and Im not redoing the roof but 1 time cuz that was a nightmare.

5. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i always go by wire thickness, not by thickness of jacket.

6. kryptonitewhite

got my laydeh lookin at it... idk what she did...now we have a real-time analyzer of some sort :D diggin for the manula now lol

7. pedro quiroga

if your wondering its the little FLOWER symbol.

8. kryptonitewhite

OH! flower, near, mountain, far!

near....

faaaar!

9. kryptonitewhite

I've always had love for Kicker. Over the years, every time I need something... they just ask my address and send it. "what's the charge?" "oh it's already sent. thanks for Livin Loud!"

Well I got my amps back yesterday in record time, and included was 1 or 2 sets of remote gain control with the cable(s). I thought I saw 2 but today I pulled them back out to snap pics and there's one. Either way I won't be using them so someone locally that needs one will scoop it up sometime. I just love Kicker, always have.

[​IMG]

I love when my woman helps

[​IMG]

it's cool when we can play flirt and tease while doing installs.

even better when I can put her to work

[​IMG]

I wasn't satisfied with the bracing, so I decided to connect the top brace with the bottom two..I'll have to shave out a lot on both of them for the speaker cutouts, but with them being sandwiched from both sides, should still be well worth it. That 22" port just eats up the whole wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. kryptonitewhite

4-5 years ago when i was workin on my accent build with the front stage going 4-way active, I came up with the idea of 4 toggle switches.. HP-BP-BP-LP. So I can kill any range I want and have on any range I want... mainly for showin off the system and teaching people...cuz Ive always got people walkin up on my wanting to learn.. and I can demonstrate "this is what the tweeters do" and kill the rest. "this is just tweets and subs".. and so on.

So I got my Iraggi today, scooped up 4 toggles and another DMM as my X biatch snatch gots all my old stereo, tools, everything....

[​IMG]

gotta show off my 12" port and my lights too... gonna do the same in the VAN... red and blue lights. Someday I'll scoop up a little amp and do bass on 1 channel and treble on the other, have blue lights hooked to bass and red to trebble, so the blues are long and continuous and reds flashin and blinkin rapid like.

[​IMG]

11. kryptonitewhite

ya'll know how much i HATE do do stuff for cosmetics...but i couldn't help myself. I wanted to add a spacer for more rear clearance for the pole vents as well as a thicker baffle for better screw grabbin. Then I couldn't help but trace it out. Then I couldn't help but break out the 'ol router. BUT I made DAMN sure to at least do a ****** job! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

That looks awesome. This has been a great build log. You may have said it earlier, but what type of speakers are those you are using for the for the front stage?

13. kryptonitewhite

I'm glad to repeat, cuz basically they are Adire Audio Kit LCRs using the Vifa to replace the Usher

2 Vifa XT25TG30 1" Ring Radiator tweeters being run off a Kicker KX200.2 These will be high passed MUCH higher than they should be. They are solid down to 1.5k, 3k would be an excellent crossing, but I'm going to go super high... maybe as high as 12-14kHz... I won't know till i play. I hate the 2nd highest treble tweeters reproduce. I love the extreme highs.

2 CSS FR125S 4.5" full range drivers. These drivers were made for audiophiles that are so peculiar that they are willing to sacrifice the extreme highs and extreme lows to avoid a crossover and all the SQ lost with them. They have a copper sleeve and XBL^2 tech to get them to go as high and as low as possible, low inductance..yadda yadda yadda. They can be played up to 20kHz just fine. I should cross them close to my Vifa's range, but I'm purposely making a hole in my sound floor where the lower treble range will be attenuated. But hey, between the FR125S and the XT25TG30's, I'll still have more treble I'll ever need... just not so harsh and raspy. These will be bandpassed from 700Hz to wherever I end up staring the hole. Kicker KX350.4 bridged, as these are HT 8ohm speakers.

4 Adire Audio Extremis 6.4's. XBL2. These 4 woofers are good down to 33Hz when vented. I'll cross them somewhere around 50-80Hz, I will take lots of play time to optimize them. My subs play quite high, they sound good crossed at 80Hz in my HT, but a main focus of mine is DMX going "uh! uh-huh!" or JaRule, Ludacris... deep voices. Pac. I went with 4 of these when 2 would be overkill in their mounting location as it is, cuz I want the high/tight/thump/kick to be crisp and clear. I want bass guitars, drums, men's voices... to be strong and effortless, not strained and breaking up. I could run 4 12" subwoofers with a Kicker KX850.4 it was benched 1000 RMS. It's running these bad boys. Bandpassed 60Hz-700Hz.

The Fi IB3 18's in 86 cubic feet with a 22" port tuned to 15Hz LPed at 80Hz. 4 AP30001D's.

Alpine IVA-W505 DVD player to watch WOTW's, HULK, Star Trek, Transformers... you name it..so I don't have to listen to the same 20-30 songs all day with sub-20Hz content.

I need an excellent crossover to do 4-way active, 2 channels bandpassed. I chose the Alpine PXA-H701.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  14. pedro quiroga

FB request sent. man i love the look of those speakers. i bet those would sound like butter in an HT set up.

ive been looking to re build front stage in my truck. im only in the looking phase tho.

15. kryptonitewhite

well weve talked off and on for a while here... cool to FB with ya! I dig ure ride, but, whats with 2WD! hahaha... just teasin.

Ya they were copied from HT Kit LCRs... funny thing, in my HT, I have been using my home theater in a box speakers... $35 at walmart for the 5 speakers, subwoofer, amp and remote... the amp was "better" than my EP4000's in a way, and instead of building MTM's with Exodus Audio Anarchy's as planned..I'm keeping these ugly tiny cheap little cubes!

BTW.. is that 2 12's and a PR in your sig?

16. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Daaang that's a big cigarette haha. How big a port do you plan on using or what else are you using that much sonotube for?

17. kryptonitewhite

thats 12' thats what size it came in, but I'm gonna use the leftovers for the Two Towers :D