4 Fi Audio IB3 18's walled off 15Hz tune in a VAN BUILD LOG

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by kryptonitewhite, Feb 28, 2010.

1. kryptonitewhite

kryptonitewhite Full Member

i bet it would float if it worked... I caulked the 1st window because I was worried, I didn't caulk the 2nd window and still no problem...i did see a thin line of foam through the sliding side door rubber gasket but it never actually came through. Tecnically I guess it did, cuz I could see it, but it was inside.

so I have a problem. I spray painted the 1st side's windows black so it just looks like dark tint. but I didn't spray paint the other side. Good thing. For the 1st few days it looked pretty cool... all the different layers of foam that all looked cured a different way.

Today, I can see it all collapsed!

2. kryptonitewhite

so here you can see the outside edges where the foam was exposed to air turned out, you can also see I did some touching up this morning..some fresh foam in a few places, a few more cans hanging...but over all, very well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some patch work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

see the dark yellow? thats old foam not yet cured... as I peel the duct tape away, foam not yet exposed to air is all gooey and starts to run and bubble when it gets air, so I try to press the tape back and let it cure more now that it has more air

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AND THE FAILURE. COLLAPSED. no air? now what do I do?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the glass makes for terrible reflection I know...sorry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

man that sucks that it collapsed but hell.... U should get this done so i can come see it! lol

4. kryptonitewhite

im workin on it! give me ideas... i shall conquer this!

5. kryptonitewhite

Kicker is fixing 2 of my 4channels for $115!

KX200.2 used to blow fuses immidiately. someone started repair, now green light but no sound

KX850.4 crossover on 1 channel doesn't function properly

6. jonnyv713

Sounds like it is time to get some new amps maybe?

7. kryptonitewhite

I just had an 850.4 and a 200.2 repaired for $115... I think I'll keep what I have :)

8. kryptonitewhite

so, the foam did cure, it did collapse so to speak...more like it left giant voids. But it also left a huge skeleton structure... it looks like an under ground tunnel labrynth by moles and the like. Some of it is very concentrated and sturdy looking. I think this is a blessing in disguise.

I'm just gonna drill and fill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. kryptonitewhite

why does my phone take better pics than my brand new $250 camera?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

11. kryptonitewhite

12. kryptonitewhite

ya so... when i was looking for power wire, I couldn't get a definitive on AP30001D terminal size, but i think it is 0. So I looked for 0. Then, the guy I bought the amps from was selling 50ft spools for $100. But i found some cheap crap for $65. Sure, it wasn't pure copper, and he couldn't tell me if his was when he said "sorry I don't get generic so i can't go less than a bill" or something to that effect. But i figured Ive never ran bigger than 4 gauge.. i dont care what anyone says, screw internal resistence and volatge drop and all that talk. I had 6 red tops off 4 gauge and I was fine, so if I get cheap 0 gauge it still has to be better than the best 4 gauge.

Another angle: The junk was $50, $65 shipped. The "good stuff" was $100... IDK how much shipping would tag on, but let's just say the cost was double. There's no way that the copper only wire is gonna be twice as good as the junk wire. So screw it!

BUT, I got it today, and you can literally see a fraction of the strands are aluminum! OK, so i was thinking I would have to pay double to get some 99.98% pure copper wire or some crazy number vs maybe 80%-90% copper...but wow, this is like 60%-80% maybe? IDK...

And, it sure doesn't look huge. It resembles the 4 gauge I've been working with..but the packing says 0 gauge..so whatever.

So then I had to look for terminal rings, and IDK the terminal size on my AGM batts...so i just get the biggest I can order... and of course its a touch small, so I have to use a drill and shave the holes to get them to fit my battery terminals. :(

Oh well! No crying here. I got a badass system in progress. I'm not letting some collapsed foam in my way! Slow me down? ya. But it will get done!

So as for foam, I drilled 2 holes in 2 separate pockets and sprayed just 1 can in each. It looked normal at first, but later it looks like it's just melting into the rest of the blob. I'll look again tomorrow in new light.

I got some cheap paint and painted the caulk from the window..looks a lot better.

I'ma keep on movin! ALT and AMPS should be here soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. kryptonitewhite

The wire nor anything else is a huge issue. Here is an end pic to show jacket thickness.

[​IMG]

if I am competing to get every last drop of SPL, that last .01dB..OK. If I'm competing in SQ and I just gotta have it perfect...fine.

But 99% of the time I'm going to be using 20% or less of the power I have on tap. Those IB drivers aren't going to be getting 3000 watts RMS! Those 1" tweets aren't going to be getting 200 watts RMS! I am over building so that I can coast rather than redline :)

phone cam again :D

14. kryptonitewhite

ok nevermind! my old 4 to my new 0... big difference

[​IMG]

15. pedro quiroga

thats weird that the foam keeps melting. does that stuff need to breath in order to expand? if so, is your baffle so airtight is not letting it work right?

16. kryptonitewhite

yup and yup! UGH! lol

17. kryptonitewhite

well I used the 50 bucks I saved on wire and got a hydro crimper :D there's a dude on www.carstereoforum.net doing 4 DP21s 4th order that sent me a link t get it. My window started acting up so i put in a new motor yesterday. I pulled the dash to see how I'm gonna customize it to get the Alpine to fit...man it's a tight squeeze. I knew all along once I popped the dash open I'd have to look and see if i could do the front stage in it again..but nope, a HUGE aluminum plate. Good. The roof build will be easy and simple. Started working on the false roof and started the bracing for the wall... 2 layers of 2x6... will make a # sign too with 2 supports up and down and 2 side to side going between subs and port. oh, and I got a fish tank pump and hose... i drilled a bunch of holes in both sides the other day and let it sit..nothing has happened...so I'll leave that on overnight and see what happens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. kryptonitewhite

the roof is in, it was a lot of work getting the roof to curve and bend...so bad that fasteners wont hold. Ive been considering using 2 2x6s to go behind the seats to keep them from going back and hitting the subs..well now they're roof supports as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sketched out the wall so I can see how I'm gonna make the # sign... it's looking like it will have to be just 2 going up and down, and not doubled up :( only part way side to side but maybe doubled up... port will be in the way :(

I was only gonna tripple baffle the wall, but i may have to add a couple layers..but then the subs might get close to wacking the 2x6 roof supports/seat protectors

[​IMG]

12,000 watts. Combined with the three 4-channels, that is 14,000 RMS potential

[​IMG]

19. pedro quiroga

wow!. getting closer!

20. jonnyv713

I need to come to Sioux Falls. You ever need some help on the weekends or anything, if I aint busy ill come up. Its only like 45 minutes or so from here.