1973 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow install

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Griff, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Griff

Griff Guest

Hey guys, I was recently commissioned to do an install on this car, and am after your suggestions for the system, HU, subs, amps etc.

The boot is enourmous, approx 6ft x 5ft x 1.5ft which will be where the subs will be, as there is no room for a front install. The doors can only accomodate 5.25" comps, one speaker a side so no pairings. The electrical system will be slighty upgraded but only using an extra batt or 2, this is a stealth install (except the boot) and must keep the car original. One cd capability is fine and mp3 is handy, but sq is more vital.

The budget will be approx $3000, and will be a mainly SQ setup, but with the amount of space available for subs and number of subs, should still hit 145's and up. Another possibility is for a set of comps mounted to the lid of the boot, for comps or show's etc.

What do you guys think, this has to be a special setup to match an awesome car. Whats components should be used? and what have I forgotten?

2. AbRaKaDaVa

AbRaKaDaVa Full Member

In a rolls??

Zapco, McIntosh, Rainbow etc etc

Top of the line everything, make it fit the car :D

(If you can't afford the top of the line, leave the car stock...don't fuck up a rolls)

Last edited by AbRaKaDaVa at Oct 8 2002, 09:34 AM

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Griff, you strike me as a British bloke! :p

At any rate, it sounds like you are going to be constrained to having 5.25" components up front that mount the tweeter over the woofer, coax style.
    There are a few manufacturers that offer some great SQ speakers that should fit the bill well...

JL makes a version of the XR comp set that mounts the tweeter over the cone, coax-style - and the JL tweeter is one of the best that I have ever heard. Someone told me that they compromise a bit on the Xover with the coax version of the comp set, you might want to check that out... it makes sense to me, since it does carry a lower price tag than the standard XR comp set, despite requiring an extra part to mount the tweeter...

Also, CDT makes their HD comp set, which can be ordered with an angled bridge that suspends the tweeter over the woofer.
    CDT has gotten some amazing reviews, particularly in the european press, and I suspect is easier to get your hands on over there then over here.
    Despite my love of the JL XR set, I might opt to go this route, as their are no compromises in the bridge-mounted version compared to the standard version...

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

With a limited budget that has to be distributed across purchasing a head unit, top end comp set, capable and SQ oriented subs, amplifiers to push it all, power wiring, speaker wiring, RCA wiring, etc...

I wouldn't recommend the JL W7 route, simply because of expense... although it is a damn capable sub in all respects.

I would recommend the Adire Brahma, a single 15" most likely.
    My reasons are that the Brahma uses XBL2 technology that results in amazing sharpness and impact clarity, the 15" cone moves more air than smaller cones, which results in higher output, has 27.3mm of Xmax (one of the top three subs in the world in excursion capability), and is rated at 1600 RMS, although I would recommend possibly a slightly larger than recommended enclosure (sounds like you have room for it!), and slightly less power, maybe "only" 1200 watts or so.

It's too bad you can't wait a couple months, our company (Better Audio) will have some subs to market to compete with the Brahma, our target is at lower price points also. ;)
    But I am sure you won't regret buying a Brahma by any means!

5. Griff

Griff Guest

Geolemon,

I actually can and will wait a couple months for this setup, so your subs arent out of the question, but I was thinking more along the lines of 4 15" Brahmas or the like. This setup still needs to reach some fairly crazy SPL's.

Abra,

The budget here is really only $3000US, so those are a tad out of my league, and seeing as it will be a fairly stealth install, the only thing visable within the car will be the HU so it wont wreck the overall look of the car.

Thanks guys and keep them coming :)

6. Griff

Griff Guest

I like that suggestion, the Alpine HU would most likely be a 7995, and the brahmas are almost a certainty with the JBL's. Im not sure that Focal make a 5.25 inch comp set, though I could design my own if need be. Could you please give me a specific amp model that you think would be sufficient for the front stage?