The Insanity Has Begun

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Ranger SVO, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

As many of you know I will graduate next semester and get out of the car audio business.

But a few people seem to think that I should do one more big system. While I completely disagree, and against my better judgement, I decided I'll do one more.

This is an 80's Olds. The box will take the place of the back seat.

So here goes. My canvas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Amp rack in the trunk is first

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The box is next.

[​IMG]

There is a lot more work to do. And I mean alot. But this what we have so far. Currently the headliner is down, so that we can put dynomat in the roof, it will need it

More to come

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Ranger....very nice.

I just got a 12 gallon air compressor...box building is going to be so much quicker and easier.

3. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

lol, that's going to be sick! You will be teaching students next?, high school?

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Thats what I want to do.

The box for the car is almost done, its 7.5 cu ft. The port is 2.5-inches by 43.5-inches. The tuning ia around 34-36Hz. A little lower than I normally tune, but this case is a little different. I'll post more pics in the next few days.

The Q-Forms came in today also. I'm out of speaker wire, how can a stereo shop be out of speaker wire?

5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I hate big projects, they take so long to do. Have you ever wondered what it takes to make a set of kick panels look good. Q-Forms look awful. But with a little work they can look like they belong in the car.

One of the other installers that I work (aka Fiberglass) with did the kick panels. First he removes the original and cuts away anything he doesnt need. Then he glues the two parts together with 5-minute epoxy

[​IMG]

After the epoxy sets up he applies some bondo and sand it smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After everything looks good and smooth, Fiberglass applies a coat of Duplicolor Truck Bed Liner Paint. This paint will give us the factory textured look we want.

[​IMG]

And finally we trial fit.

[​IMG]

Perfect.

We also got the radio in the dash

[​IMG]

We still have a lot of work to do. The box is finished and I will post more pics later. We still have a lot of work to do.

I wanna add one more thing, look what the painter dude did to my Ranger

[​IMG]

Its the same color as my truck. Dammmmmm that looks good

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  6. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Nice!! I like the color too, reminds me of the CIL paint they used to sell with the metal flake.

7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Well we got a lot more work done on the Cutlass. First, the kick panels are the right color and they have been installed

[​IMG]

We are finishing up in the trunk. To make the panels, I use cardboard, elmers glue and tape to make a template.

[​IMG]

I use the template to cut out a piece of 1/8 inch masonite

[​IMG]

After everything is cut and covered and in place we begin to put it all together

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now we need to finish up on the inside of the car. This is the box thats taking the place of the back seat

[​IMG]

More to come, stay tuned

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Ranger what subs are going in here???

PA Big Bangs??

9. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

about class for car wiring and stuff, what would this be called? The real name for learning how to do all this wiring audio in cars.

10. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

wow that looks nice.

hey guys.

i know its been some time,but i'm back!!

11. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

As far as I know there is no class for wiring a car audio system. But there is a lot you need to know. That Planet class D amp is a power hog. It has the ability to draw 160-amps of current when its working hard. It must have a battery near it with a short run of wire, because a voltage drop due to wire length is unacceptable. Current and voltage are directly propotional (math term). If one drops so does the other.

I feel that you need to know ohms law and how to apply it. Everyone where it work can tell you ohms law, other than me, no one can explain it or apply it.

The rest of it is planning. I needed 2 sets of RCA's so I ran 3. I have an extra set just in case. Every wire is run ahead of time, it makes no sense to tyry to run wires around boxes and panels. Wiring, in almost every case should be done first. NO SHORT CUTS, there is no excuse for having to redo something because you was in a hurry or too lazy to do it right the first time.

Everything in this car will work right the first time. It will be test fired Monday.

Yes AZN, PA Big Bangs.

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

"proportional" Ranger right??? lol

Also I think you mean current and voltage are Inversely proportional to each other.

As voltage goes up current goes down for X amount of output power.

Say for 1200 watts output...the amp will pull less current if it sees a higher voltage say 14 volts than if it would see a lower voltage like 12 volts.

Correct me if I'm wrong

13. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

And I will

Ohms law says that e = i * r and for now we will assume that r is a constant.

lets make r = 10, and i = 2, then e = 20. If we increase i then e will increase. They are directly proportional. (also remember that any proportion when graphed must pass through the origin and that happens in this case)

So it is directly proportional

Now lets look at P = E * I. In this relationship E and I are indeed inversly proportional. But we have a problem. The cars electrical system can only deliver so much current through the primary power wire. As voltage drops, we won't get the additional current we need through the power wire. Unless the power wire is very short. This will only happen if the battery is located near the amp.

So lets rewrite our power equation to make sense of whats going on in our situation. Solve e = i * r for i and we will get i = e/r. Now substitute e/r in the power equation for I and simplify.
    P = (E * E) / R
    Watts is equal to voltage squared divided by resistance. Now lets make R a constant. Now as E decreases so does P. (We need to be able to apply ohms law to the situation we are using it in)

That should explain why the headlights dim on a poorly designed high power system.

So AZN, you are NOT wrong. Technically what you said is correct. But in reality we are not getting the additional current necessary to make up for the voltage drop. So power will decrease.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  14. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Ahh icic...thanks for clearing that up Ranger.

15. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

That's happening to mine right now, a poorly designed system LOL. My lights are dimming big time and the voltage is dropping to 12.3-12.6 even with a second battery by the amp. It's that cheap ass flea market wire for one, it is too thin and maybe a bit longer than it needs to be. It will be replaced very soon. So once i get rid of the last of those little pieces, i still might get a second battery, this orion is like starving for power. Damn resistance lol, it's the enemy and heat, same thing as in computers.

The red wire in this pic is the only flea market crap left. The silver one is true 4 gauge.

Attached Files:

16. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The run from the front Battery to the back needs to be 4-gauge. Both batteries need to be on good condition. I go one step further and insist that they are the same and new. Both need to be grounded to the chassis with 4 gauge ( no more than 1 to 1-1/2 foot). Make sure the wire from the alternator to the battery is 8-gauge minimum. (4-gauge if at all possible)

Solder all connectors on the 4-gauge. I use a propane torch.
    [​IMG]
    You can get a simple set up like this cheap at Wal-Mart.

Your amp needs to be connected to the back battery with 4-gauge (short a run as reasonably possible and the amp needs to be grounded at the same place as the rear battery (1/2 to 1 inch apart)

That should solve your problem.

17. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

cool, thanks. I have most of that, the wire from front to back is true 4 gauge, the rest needs to be changed. My alternator charging wire is 4 gauge.
    But i'm grounding my amp to the battery which is then going to the frame of the car. So i should ground it beside where the battery is grounded to the car your saying. Hmmm ok cool, didn't even cross my mind to do it that way. Well i got this to start, wire is on it's way lol. I have a torch like yours too.

Attached Files:

18. eazy

eazy Full Member

This is looking great Ranger! What kind of wattage are we looking at?

I'm working on a project of my own... perhaps you could give me some ideas for the amp rack/beauty panels. I'm going to make a topic in General.

19. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I glanced at your thread. I'll get back to your thread and mine in the next couple of days, I have an Analysis Test coming up. So studying just took the Priority thing

20. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

8 feet of 0 gauge ordered, wohooooo, at least i can ground the battery and bring power to my distribution block/fuse holder in 0 gauge. Also will do the battery to engine at the front, which i never ended up doing yet. Getting there...

Attached Files: