Pioneer TS-W309S4

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by 92civicproblems, Mar 24, 2011.

1. 92civicproblems

92civicproblems Full Member

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130W309S4/Pioneer-TS-W309S4.html?tp=111&tab=features_and_specs

I'm looking to install this Pioneer TS-W309S4 in my rear deck to use as an Infinite Baffle System. Here are the specs:

Size: 12"
    Impedance: 4ohms
    Single Voice Coil
    Sensitivity: 94db @1w
    Frequency Response: 20Hz-220Hz
    RMS: 50w-400w
    Peak: 1400w
    Vas: 30.14liters
    Qts: 0.66
    Xmax: 10.4mm

Price: ~$120

This is the best I could find. If you can find anything better that doesn't cost more than about $200 bucks I will bow down to you and call you the car audio god! I will leave this post up for as long as I can possibly hold out so i can get the most replies I can get.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130W309S4/Pioneer-TS-W309S4.html?tp=111&tab=features_and_specs

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

i think this woofer would make a decent choice. As long as the front and the rear of the woofer are isolated it will do a great job. I cannot emphasize this enough! It is VERY important to do this. If not low end frequency reproduction will suffer.

3. 92civicproblems

Don't worry. I am going to do the best possible job of sealing the front from the rear. That's not a problem. The problem is, I want a good subwoofer! I don't want to waste my money on this pioneer to find out the sound quality sucks or it actually doesn't get the frequencies it says it's supposed to get or something like that. I feel like Pioneer is a low end brand yet I can't find any other subs that have a high qts, high sensitivity, and at least 20hz minimum low frequency. Why is pioneer the only company that produces subwoofers with these parameters?

4. 92civicproblems

5. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

You usually want a QTS of around .7 or greater. I can't help but not trust Pioneer's TS specs. They are a mainstream brand and therefore people do not build these subs, machines do and with testers, they are not always spot on. There is a lot of chances for messing things up.

I build subs and could prolly hook you up with a sub, but I dont have a lot of experience in the IB area. I could research it and do what I can. I know a guy with an IB motor, but I dont know what he would want for it or if he would get rid of it.

The IB3 from Fi is what comes to mind when I hear IB, but it is going to Blueprint Audio and I'm not familliar with them. eD is another name that comes to mind, and they say they are IB capable, but their softparts are absolute junk, you would rip the spiders to shreds in IB IMHO. The IB market has really gone down the poo hole lately. Like I said though, I would probably hook a guy up with a CUSTOM infinite baffle sub for AROUND 200. I cant promise a price because of me not knowing much right now.

Let me know what you think man. I got your PM and I really hope this helps man.

6. 92civicproblems

I appreciate it man. I didn't know you could even make subs lol I agree with you about not trusting the pioneer specs... there's no way they can be that good... idk... but if you could make a sub with a Qts around .7 high sensitivity (around 90-95) and most importantly I need the frequency range to go down to 20hz or lower. The whole point of doing this is to pick up those lows and bang hard with songs that have extra low frequencies of bass. That's my whole objective here. Get loud, low, hard hitting bass. Oh also I like a high Xmax... high excursion is always a plus.

7. jonnyv713

Like I said before, I DON'T know a lot about IB, but I have heard it is more for clean lows and SQ more than anything. Someone please correct me if I am wrong though. If you are looking for loud and hard hitting bass. I would role with a normal Ported box with a good quality sub, and maybe even seal it off from the trunk if your seats fold down to get the amount of volume you have to pressurize down and get rid of trunk rattle.. I know I can make you a badass sub for a ported box, but if you want me to, I can try to do some research for IB.

8. 92civicproblems

Well I'm trying to build a 5.1 surround sound system so I want basically a subwoofer that's going to give me clean lows and good SQ like you said. I do want it to be loud though. Not crazy hard or anything I mean it's just one 12" but I want to get the best results I can from that 1 12" IB. You know what I mean?

9. jonnyv713

I will look into the IB sub for you then man.

10. 92civicproblems

Thanks bro I really appreciate it.