xtrpro 1400

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by 91GT, Jul 3, 2007.

1. 91GT

91GT Full Member

i am currently using a xtr 2150 for my mids and tweets but have a chance to get a xtrpro 1400..so my question is would that be a good upgrade or would it even be an upgrade at all?

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

is that an orion 2150 you talkin bout?

3. 91GT

91GT Full Member

yes both of those amps are orion

4. pedro quiroga

ok.cool. i like those older orions.i run old school PG's.

i've never heard of the 1400 though.is it a newer model?

also is it a stereo amp or mono?

5. 91GT

91GT Full Member

they are both 2 channel....i have another question as well....im using a xtr 2250 for my subs and now have a chance to get a xtrpro 2400 both orion 2 channel amps..i have never had any problems with my orion amps so am a little nervous about switching...the 2250 as we know is underrated at 1000 watts rms but what about the 2400 it is rated at 2400 watts rms.. i guess i should find out if they were made in the usa ... if so they should be fine shouldnt they? or did orion start to go downhill before they stopped making amps here?

6. pedro quiroga

i would stay with the old school stuff myself.if you want to upgrade for more power get some old school hcca's.

thats my opinion though.as i belive the old school stuff is way better built than what is out now.

7. pedro quiroga

8. 91GT

91GT Full Member

i checked that site out and the 2250 does look much better built maybe ill just stay with what i have...to switch to the hcca wouldnt be worth it for the power difference maybe 100 watts or so.....thanks for your insight on this

9. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

The SX, XTR, HCCA's are all virtually identical in board design with just a few changes to essentially the power supply sections of the amps to allow for running lower impedance loads.

I would stick with what ya got....The 2150 you have on your highs is an EXCELLENT choice for them, Very musical and powerful amplifier!

10. pedro quiroga

yeah what he said^^^^.lol.

if i had the money i would do an all old school orion set up like yours.2250 on my sub and 2, 275sx's on mids/highs.

only if i had the dough and if my amps quit working.

11. 91GT

91GT Full Member

sometimes you can get good deals on old orion gear on ebay....i think now that you guys talked me into keeping what i have i may try and find another 2250 and put one on each sub to get more power that way

12. pedro quiroga

wow! is your electrical system set up to handle the power demands of 2 "BEAST'S"?

got any pics?

13. 91GT

91GT Full Member

14. pedro quiroga

NICE!!what kind of vehicle?......i'm guessing some sort of 91GT.....lol

15. 91GT

91GT Full Member

thanks....how did you guess it was a 91GT lol....yeah its a mustang...i like how the black looks with the amps much better than the gray IMO.

16. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Nice Install.. Those are the XTR series amps, not hcca, if you can grab an hcca they are much better. Here's my crappy install lol, it was just temporary.

Attached Files:

17. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Gotta disagree with ya electro, the HCCA is not better than an xtr or SX.

Now in fact, the first generation XTR amps were sonically better than any of the other Orion amps. (a hard thing to do)

18. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Prettty nice install...but the box must be changed.

ONE 4 inch port for a 15 inch sub??

19. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

ok, my bad, i had an xtr but it was just a small one, it was ok..but wanted more. I thought the xtr series was made after orion was bought out.

20. 91GT

91GT Full Member

what is wrong with the box?