WTF...smoke?

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by shanecbx3, Jun 2, 2006.

1. shanecbx3

shanecbx3 Full Member

Ok this is weird and i need someones help...
    So i was driving down the street with the system bumping...and i hit a bump and the amp turned off...i figured out that one of the speaker wires was knocked loose so i hooked that back in. Then today turn on the system...and i smell that sketchy smell of wire melting/burning....and i notice some smoke under the passenger seat/footwell. So i immediately turn everything off and unconnect the amp from the battery. Then i look in the trunk and notice one of my speaker wires had fully melted (Turned black..sticking to things). So i rewired all my speaker wires and remote wire and everything. And then i turn on the system and i smell smoke....i go immediately to the trunk and smoke comes billowing out...so now i have no idea what to do...where to start to try to fix it.

I still get sound, power, everything...its just theres smoke

2. shanecbx3

shanecbx3 Full Member

And to also add insult to injury...i checked all fuses and they are fine...can anyone give me a pointer before i have to go dismantle my car and search for the problem

thanks

3. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Snoke came from WHERE???????

The amp, wiring, speakers, what?

Just a first impression here on this though, a guess.........

Sounds like you had loose and/or cheesy connections if they fell off when you hit a bump. So I would deduct that probably one of the caps in the power supply or output section of the amp vented. Amps can sometimes still work under this condition. This would have been caused by crappy grounds or power connections that would induce power supply issues....

just a guess though......

4. shanecbx3

shanecbx3 Full Member

So do you think my ground cable could be a cause for this problem....the wire is just wrapped around a bolt thats in the chassis, its not the best i admit. But all other power connections are secure, all fuses are intact. This is just extremely confusing

Also this weekend i went over to my friends and had him help me search for the smoke...so i turned on the system and we searched for it...and there was no smoke. It was odd, i dont know why the smoke would be there only for one day....

I just dont want to take any chances so im not gonna use the subs/amp until i have time to fix the ground/find the smoke source.

If it is the Amp is there anyway to find the problem/fix it?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  5. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Ok, that wire wrapped around a bolt for your ground, is NOT a proper ground connection. You need to keep the ground wire as short as possible and use a good quality connector on the end of it. When fastening your ground wire, scrape away all paint with some sanpaper till you have a nice clean shiny metal surface. drill a hole (check the other side for wiring/brake lines. etc FIRST!) then using a bolt andnut and washers, bolt the ground to the car. spray some paint or undercoating on the connection, top and bottom to prevent rust and corrosion.

All connections to the amp, should be secure and well made to prevent any problems.

Bad grounds are big reason amps will toast themselves to death, especially the power supplies. I would have a reputable/knowledgable shop test run the amp on the bench and do a visual inspection of the PC board before you hook it up again.

6. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

good advice, viking.. ALWAYS make sure your connections are tight and that you don't have any wires that are bare. - don't tape it - -replace it.

still wondering where the smoke was coming from..