would please like a knowledgable person's input on plans for my system

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by dmney68m8, Jan 11, 2012.

1. dmney68m8

dmney68m8 New Member

well let me start by i'm new to pretty much everything about car audio but would like to learn as much as possible
    i currently have 2 12" jl subwoofers that i believe are the wov3 versions, they are in a ported box and are running off of a j2 500.1 jl audio amp.
    i used a 4g monster cable wiring kit and rca's to hook them up.
    currently everything else in the car is stock, and oh it's a 4 door 2002 cavalier.
    as soon as i get enough money i would like to install two 6.5" polk audio speakers in the front doors(i will have do some messing around with the mounts in order to get them to fit), and polk audio 6x9's in my rear deck.
    eventually i plan on replacing the stock head unit with most likely a kenwood excelon head unit.
    after all that's done and i get more money i would like to amp all the speakers as well, i was thinking a 4 channel power acoustik d4-1000 which is capable of 440rms i believe 80rms at 4 ohmsx4 if i'm correct. all the speakers are rated at 100rms each, does this seem like a good combo?
    so far that's the for sure plan unless anybody has anything they suggest i change.
    now for the not for sure plan i'd like to add some tweeters to my front speakers just tap into the 6.5" and use some bass blockers, any thoughts on this idea?
    another idea which this one is kind of far fetched, i was thinking of some how getting 2 8" mid range drivers in box's along my rear floor using another amp coming off the j2 500.1 pre amp outputs.space is very limmited so doing this is unlikely, but still i'd like to hear some input on he idea.
    finally adding 2 tweeters in the rear as well but i feel like unless i have the mid range drivers back there to balance it out there will be too many highs in my system, what do you think?
    also any advice on what tweeters to get? or even door speakers? basically anything about anything i'd like to hear it.
    thanks, and sorry for so much in one post

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

WOW. Lets do the door speakers first. The front doors have 4 x 6's in them. Metra makes an adapter that lets you mount a 5-1/4 or 6-1/2-inch speaker. The adapter is Metra 82-3300. Now I've never mounted a 6-1/2 in these adapters, but I have used 5-1/4. The back 6 x 9s, why not. It works for me. Tweeter in the back, NO. Add on tweeter in the front, great idea. It will come with a cross over, so no bass blocker needed.

Something to consider, run the 6 x 9s on deck power and your add on tweeter. Then amp the front speakers. They need a little help because their position is not optimum. Four channel amp, great, use two channels for the front speakers and the other two channels bridged mono for your sub

My 10-cents worth anyway.