Worth upgrading my amp?

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by explicit, Jul 8, 2008.

1. explicit

explicit Full Member

Im running Focal Polyglass 5.25" front components and Focal Polyglass 6x9s in the rear deck. Im powering them with an Alpine MRP-F550. Anything out there under $300 worth upgrading to?

If I had the money I would probly get the Focal 4.75 but for now I just keep an eye out for a used one to come up on ebay.

So what do you guys think? Is my current amp good enough for my speakers?

2. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

That amp should power those things without breaking a sweat. I have focal 6.5 comps in front and focal 6x8 in rear deck off a Hifonics 35x4 amp and is it very very loud with no distortion. Your alpine is like twice the power of mine. But just wondering why you would want to upgrade, are you not happy with the sound quality, not loud enough??

3. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Damn, that amp should give you plenty of power for the focal. I wouldn't upgrade unless you really want a high end amp. You amp should make your ears bleed.

4. robahr24

robahr24 Full Member

How do you compare those focals to alpine type r components? Is it really worth the extra money to buy them? I figure I also don't need a high power amp to power them since they are rated pretty low too.