WMA Lossless, Eclipse 7200 MKII

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by the.palmetto, Apr 3, 2010.

1. the.palmetto

the.palmetto Member

I am connecting a USB thumb drive to my Eclipse HU and attempting to play WMA lossless audio files but it is not recognizing the files. The HU will play compressed MP3 and WMA files, which are usually no more than 320kbps. Unfortunately, I have caught the audiophile bug and want only lossless. Why is the Eclipse not recognizing these lossless files even though they are .wma files?

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

will it play the songs from a cd in lossless?

3. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The Audiophile bug, good for you. Now, it is impossible to tell an MP3 from the original recording. Our ears are not that good and we can prove it.

First we need to know how to correctly make an MP3 and the best encoder out there is LAME 3.98. LAME is NOT a ripper, so we need a ripper that will allow us to use LAME. Audiograbber, EAC, and Foobar2000 are rippers that will allow us to use the LAME encoder.

I prefer Audiograbber. If you really wanna test this I sure will tell you how.

4. the.palmetto

the.palmetto Member

I did not try to burn a lossless CD because it defeats the purpose. I wouldn't be able to fit many more songs on one than already comes on a regular CD. Most of my lossless albums are ~400mb.

5. the.palmetto

the.palmetto Member

Well if ripping them to 320kbps MP3's is good enough to get me by, then I'll just re-rip them on windows media. If you're saying I can get better than that with these other programs, walk me through it and I'll give it a go.

6. pedro quiroga

400mb per song? if so i didnt know a song had that much info in it.

i was told by an SQ guy" if you want SQ get the cd" lol. he has....get this...4 12 disc changers in his truck.not just cd changers but dvd changers at that. so i guess he has a few favorites albums.

he also has an ipod too for his reg everyday stuff that still sounds good too.

7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

8. the.palmetto

the.palmetto Member

Read my post again. 400mb per ALBUM.

9. the.palmetto

the.palmetto Member

Ok well my question now is, will my stereo be able to decode what LAME has encoded.

10. the.palmetto

the.palmetto Member

Hey btw, i noticed you are in abilene. I was stationed at Dyess from 07-09. I just moved last august. Are you air force?

11. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I was an installer at Howard Radio, I am now a Math Teacher at Hawley High School.

And yes, your stereo will have no plroblem playing the MP3s.

We need to be able to use LAME with audiograbber, all we need to do is (after Audiograbber is installed) unzip the LAME3.98.4 and then move the contents of the unzipped LAME folder to the Audiogabber folder. Now its an option in Audiograber.

The only files you need in the LAME folder are the lame file (2 of them) and the lame_enc.dll, all the rest can be deleted.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  12. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Set up Audiograbber like this

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  13. pedro quiroga

ok gotcha. so then you can weed thru the songs you dont like in an album and get 2 albums per 700mb cd-r.

14. the.palmetto

the.palmetto Member

Ok it's all set to go, I'm gonna start ripping all my CD's. I read some stereos won't recognize variable bit rate MP3's, so I'll test out a couple songs first before I rip EVERYTHING. Well depending on when you were working at Howards I may have seen you in there before. Small world.

15. the.palmetto

the.palmetto Member

Not really worth the effort. I'll probably eventually just get an ipod and do everything in apple lossless. Easier.

16. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Any modern radio can handle VBR.

Now I said you can not tell the difference between the MP3 and the original and I said I could prove it.

Here is how.

Download Foobar2000 and install it.

Now put a CD in your computer and rip a song to an MP3. Using Foobar, open you CD (whatever track you saved as a MP3) and the MP3 you made.

Select them both, right click, utilities, ABX Two Tracks

[​IMG]

After Foobar is done you will have a screen that looks like this

[​IMG]

Here is the thing, you don't know which is which. Is A the MP3 or the original, or is B the MP3? The same with X and Y.

Here is what you do, select Play A, listen to it, Then select Play B or Play X or Play Y, whatever you want. You can flip between these files as many times as you like.

Your task is to determine whether X is the Same as A and Y is the same as B or Y is the same as A and X is the same as B. Make you choice. Then select Next Trial, for a true blind test do this 15 times. 20 times is a more accurate check.

Good luck and post a log if you have a score of 5% or less.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  17. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Sample Log

foo_abx 1.3.4 report
    foobar2000 v1.0.1
    2010/04/04 09:21:14

File A: cdda://0240F880,13
    File B: C:\Documents and Settings\*********\My Documents\My Music\Ripped\Boston - 13 - Smokin'.mp3

09:21:14 : Test started.
    09:36:10 : 01/01 50.0%
    09:36:25 : 01/02 75.0%
    09:36:40 : 02/03 50.0%
    09:36:55 : 02/04 68.8%
    09:37:09 : 02/05 81.3%
    09:37:36 : 03/06 65.6%
    09:38:03 : 03/07 77.3%
    09:38:21 : 04/08 63.7%
    09:38:49 : 04/09 74.6%
    09:39:01 : 05/10 62.3%
    09:39:16 : 06/11 50.0%
    09:39:34 : 07/12 38.7%
    09:39:50 : 07/13 50.0%
    09:40:02 : 07/14 60.5%
    09:40:18 : 07/15 69.6%
    09:40:26 : Test finished.

----------
    Total: 7/15 (69.6%)

No better than flipping a coin, even trial 12, at 38.7% is just guessing. If I could really hear the difference, 0% to maybe 5% might be a reasonable score.