Wiring questions

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by Eleu, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Eleu

Eleu Full Member

Now ive been wiring amps and subs for a long time, but its not until recently that ive started to really pay attention to Impedance and wiring styles bridging and such.... (sad i know) but ive run into a little problem with my system... it just doesnt sound right...

Amp
    Ma Amp (HK898)
    2 x 300W RMS @ 4 Ohm Stereo
    2 x 400W RMS @ 2 Ohm Stereo
    2 x 600W RMS @ 1 Ohm Stereo
    1 x 1200W RMS @ 2 Ohm Mono

Dimensions (H x W x L)
    2.7" x 12.4" x 13"

And Dual 12 inch enclosure, Ported

1000W MAX Power
    4 Ohm Impedance
    The speakers are SVC

So per spec the max output on the subs will be 300W right?
    What can i do wiring wise to change that on SVC?

2. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

wire them like this, and u can get 600 RMS per sub.
    2_4ohm_svc_2ohm.gif

can the subs handle that much power though?

3. Eleu

Eleu Full Member

Hmm.. whats the difference here? i know this was wrong, (considering how much cleaner it sounds now.) but this is how i had it wired.

[​IMG]

Wired like that it should be 600W each right? as a bridged 1200w?
    (The site says box is 1000w max and that the amp bridged like this should be 600 each... but the stats i have on the amp is
    peak of 1200w
    RMS Per ch @4 Ohm 300
    " " " @2 Ohm 500
    " Mono @4 Ohm 1200

So per that they should be peaking at 500 right? )

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  4. jonnyv713

you shouldnt pay any attention at all to peak power. you should just pay attention to the RMS watage. so whats the RMS of the subs? what subs are they?

5. Eleu

Eleu Full Member

hmmm... that i couldnt tell you, all i know is max for the box is 1000w, so iam assuming thats 500 each considering the box is two ported 12 built together SVC (devider in the center of box seperating chambers) i have a similar make but DVC single 12 that i got thrown in for finding a way to not punch the firewall (love gromits). thats rated at 700 peak and 350 RMS, but it is a 'comp' weighted DVC.. but they are similar.... ish...

6. jonnyv713

hmm, im not sure. we need more input, i would do it like i said and maybe turn the gain down a lil bit, or just wire each sub up to each channel.

7. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

ok first of all that amp can't be wired at 1 ohm bridged or un bridged. secondly 2 channel class a/b amps can only be bridged at 4 ohms any less and they'll freak out on you. having each sub hooked up to its own channel will provide it with 300rms@4ohms per sub. this is most watts rms that you can get out of the amp without getting subs with a different coil configuration. you could run both subs on one channel with a 2 ohm load and get 500rms if you wanted it to be a mono block but you'll lose 100rms. that amp is nice and pricy but somehow i dont think it could make 1200rms with a 80amp combined fuse rating. only if it was super efficient... whichhhh it may be.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3693_MA+Audio+HK898.html

8. jonnyv713

o, he typed it wrong. when i seen it i was like wow 2 ohms bridged.

9. Eleu

Eleu Full Member

http://www.maaudio.com/product.jhtm?id=6&cid=12

LMAO that was coppied from the site my bad i should have looked at it.

Ya to be honest, it hits harder and sounds cleaner running bridged on the amp with the Revers Turned on on the head unit.

i originally ran it stereo as apposed to mono, and it just didnt ring... i can tinker more tomorrow when the sun is up and its not -13... i dont know how people live like this out here...

PS i have a spare that is DVC can you run a SVC and DVC together in a box like that?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  10. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

not true. my PG amps are A/B and 2 Ω mono stable.

11. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

with the exception of old school stuff, show me a new class a/b amp that will do that.

12. pedro quiroga

ok you got me on that one.lol.

i will have too look.^_^

13. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

haha i'm afraid there might be somewhere out there. maybe a 2 channel class D amp.

14. Eleu

Eleu Full Member

Wouldnt bridging it make the two speakers split 1200W at 2Ohm?

and wouldnt the bridging of two 4 ohm SVC's make the impedance a 2 ohm? i think the specs say that the min impedance for bridged is 4 ohms? so if i ran a DVC 4 ohm (seriesed making the impedance 8 ohms) and bridging the SVC to it, what would that make the impedance on a mono side?

15. pedro quiroga

your specs from your first post said 1200 @ 2 ohm mono. so it could be done.

if you try an 8 ohm mono load it would be the same as a 4 ohm stereo load.

either way they get 300.

16. Eleu

Eleu Full Member

Rightbut wouldnt using a DVC Either 8 ohm or 2 ohm depending on wiring and SVC 4 ohm Give it a either 6 load mono or a 3 ohm mono?