Which External harddrive can I use?

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by mgt351, Jun 26, 2009.

1. mgt351

mgt351 New Member

I have a Pioneer deh-p710bt. My wd passport 500 gig will not work. What can I use that will ?

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

exactly how much music do you have to warrent a 500 gig HD?

3. mgt351

mgt351 New Member

no where near that much. But I had the harddrive and thought I would try it. Cant get it to work. I have about 50 gigs of music right now.

What Hardrive can I use that will work?

4. mgt351

mgt351 New Member

someone has to know?

5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I have used a WD Passport 80Gb harddrive on a Pioneer with no problem. The Hard drive MUST be formated FAT32, not NTFS.

Plug the hard drive into your computer, click on "My Computer" then right click on the portable HD, then select "Properties". Where it says "File System" it should say FAT32

If it is NTFS, it will need to be reformatted. Now, Windows will not let you format a 500Gb HD. You will need to use the WD External USB/FireWire Fat32 Formatting Utility.

One other thing, if it is formatted correctly it will take the Pioneer radio a minute or two to access such a large drive

6. mgt351

mgt351 New Member

I checked and it is formatted FAT32

7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Then the size may be the problem. It may be taking time to access the drive. Plug it into the Pioneer USB port and wait a couple minutes. See if it can be selected from the source button after a couple minutes. Also, make sure that the music files are MP3 or WMA. One or the other not both.

The largest HD that I've used with the Pioneer radio is a 160Gb and it worked.