What would cause this?

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by monster71, Apr 30, 2011.

1. monster71

monster71 Full Member

Today I added a second amp (for mids n highs) to my set up. I m using a stock head unit with an RCA in line. Each amp has its own power cable and ground. I split the remote , one cable to each. So the only thing these amps share is the split RCAs and split remote. After hooking everything up my sub amp started to smoke, smelled burned and fried the fuse at the battery. I am at a loss as to WTF happened. The ground on the sub amp was nice and tight. None of the power wires touched each other. I unhooked and rehooked. The sub amp turns on and immediately pops the fuse at the battery. Nothing happens to the fuses on the amp though? I took out the sub amp and connected my new amp to the same cables my sub amp was using and all is good. It doesnt blow the fuse. Any ideas?

2. mmwwjr

mmwwjr Full Member

May just need a bigger fuse. Adding another amp increases your amp draw wich may be higher than what your fuse is rated for. What amps are you using and what size fuse? Hook it back up the way you had had it before and see what happens.

3. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

In my opinion, since you installed another amp, i wouild check the power wire feeding the sub amp. check for a screw run through a speaker wire, check for some sort of short. If all llooks good then have the amp bench tested at a reputable shop. Something has changed when you installed the new amp. You need to isolate it. I would not go with a bigger fuse at this poiint since it is blowing the current fuse with no volume to the sytem at all. Dont wanna catch your ride on fire.....