Upgrade amp for louder bass?

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by j.maio, Jun 25, 2011.

1. j.maio

j.maio New Member

I have two 12" Alpine Type E Subwoofers, powered by an Alpine MRP-M500 Mono amplifier. I have the subwoofers parallel wired so I'm getting 500W at 2 Ohms. What would be the next step for going louder? I don't have enough room for any more subwoofers in my car so more subs is out of the question. If it's a new amp, what would be a better choice than the one i have? Not looking to spend more than $300 if possible. Thanks
    -Joe

2. soulfly

soulfly Full Member

what box are they in? i would try a different ported box, possibly tuned higher for more spl?
    Otherwise you would likely have to go towards 1000 watts to make them noticably louder

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

look for a reputable brand that makes the power you want at 2 ohms within your price range.

audiopipe makes a damn decent amp.. either the 1500 or the 1800 watt amp will deff make them louder.

or it could be a $hit box.

4. kostyam69

kostyam69 Full Member

if you have a alpine 500 watt amp already on the speakers, you're giving them all the wattage they need (as each speaker is 250 RMS and the subs are single voice coil) like the previous guys said, you need a new box, pick what kind of bass you mostly want to hear and pick the box accordingly. don't worry about amp you have the right one already

5. shriver187

shriver187 Full Member

u need new subs... thats all thats gonna help u at this point... the old saying u get what u pay for is correct... those are the bottom line alpine sells.. they have limitations.. buy better subs that handle more power and buy a bigger amp to power them...