tweeters V. 6x9

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by tyrant1014, Apr 20, 2008.

1. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

Alright are 6x9's more of a component speaker? And what type of speaker would you pair a tweeter with, would component speakers be acceptable. More noob questions to keep the place hopping.

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

coaxial. and you can add a tweet to a 6x9 woofer to make a component set up.

i just havent seen any raw 6x9 mids to do it with.

they do make 5x8 and 6x8 comps too.

3. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

Another stupid question what is a coaxial speaker.

Never mind I'm an idiot

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  4. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

No most 6x9 speakers are coaxial. I think I have seen some 6x9 componet sets that just use the 6x9 as a midbass driver and have the tweeter mount somehere else. Componets usually have a 5.25 or 6.5 inch midbass and a tweeter with seperate crossovers.

5. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

that's not a stupid question... I'm to lazy to explain it but i'll just quote somebody who explained it.

While there are exceptions, coaxial speakers are generally a simple drop-in installation that is slightly more efficient (spl- and install time-wise) than a component set.

With component speakers, you get a more complicated installation: where do we put the tweeter? What about this crossover? You'll also need an amplifier to power components. They like lots of power, thanks to the crossover.

Why do components have a separate crossover?
    That's simple: midrange/midbass speakers don't do too well when it comes to high frequencies. When a speaker stops behaving like a piston, the speaker begins to "breakup" and develops hot spots that are dependent on frequency. The crossover works to reduce the energy at these frequencies sent to the mids. Instead, this energy is directed towards the tweeter, which does a much better job.

A Coaxial speaker does not have this. The only "filtering" is a first order passive crossover for the tweeter, and it's generally a much higher frequency than the component speakers, so the breakup is allowed to happen. This is not good for Sound Quality, but this is good for keeping a fat wallet.

As I mentioned before, there are exceptions: some coaxial speakers come with an outboard crossover and some components do not come with an outboard crossover.

Basically, coax has the mid bass and tweeter all in one, components are separate plus they have crossovers and they have better sound.

6. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

So does that mean that it is possible to pair a tweeter with your own midbass or subwoofer if you have a crossover.

7. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

nad should be ran with an amp to make them sound even better while coax's dont really need to

8. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

So, then here is what I'm getting at, or another question. I've got a set of 6x9's I got a while ago and I've got 4 coaxial speakers running on it right now. If I put those 6x9's would it just be another midrange or would it be more of a midbass. I'm trying to make a selling point of my jeep be that it only needs a little bit more to be a decent sound system. I.E. what is left to get sub, midbass, tweeters and then it's got something. but could those 6x9's make a system have something that looks like this. Sub, midbass, 6x9's, midrange coax's, tweeters, because wouldn't a midbass just be a smaller sub, something like a 6-1/4" sub?

Or IF I got a component system then I'd only have a sub and amp left. right?

9. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

the 6x9's are also coax if they have tweets built in them. if you have all those coax speakers then all you really would need is an amp and a sub.

Depending on what sub and amp you would get would determine on whether or not you need to power the coax speakers with an amp. Usually you can just run those speakers off your head unit then just get an amp and sub and your in business.

So you have 2 6x9's and another 4 coax speakers as well? If that is so, then your selling point is a jeep with a 6 speaker sound system.... lol.

10. pedro quiroga

with the right crossover setting you can get nice bass from those 6x9's.

they are about the same as an 8.

my dad had an old isuzu trooper with 4 6x9's and 75 watts per. and it kicked butt. not super low bass but tons of midbass

11. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

Yeah, that's about right, but it also has soft top, hard top, bikini top, dana 44 axles in the front and rear lockers up front and in the back, about 1,000 dollars worth of transmission work, new clutch, bed lined interior, lift, 33 inch tires with a full size spare extensive exhaust and carb work, beadlocked rims as well as low miles for a 1988 128,000 so I've got a little bit more than just a sound system^_^. But the problem is, it seems like no one knows how to drive a stick so they see manual and they run for the hills. Plus no one wants to give me the amount of money that it is worth, I laughed at a guy who offered me a grand for it. I looked at him and said "dude, the tires alone are worth about a grand."

But I'm throwing cheap speakers in there (Boss) so I'm not using it as a selling point, I just want the damn things out of my house, they were given to me unopened so I figured why not.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  12. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

So If I wanted to get a lot of midbass then I should get a crossover?

Or Two crossovers? One for each speaker? And then seeing as how I don't have an amp, should they be passive or active.

13. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Man, i had an old Renegade when i first came to the Philippines (my first car). It was pretty much stock and it had a bikini top. Later on I threw a hard top on it repainted it chromed the grill and bumpers, threw some chrome rims on it. Other than that it was pretty much stock. none the less, i loved my jeep. I just grew out of it though. I scanned a couple of pictures of it.

I miss that jeep til this day... I just saw it last year again. it looked like hell though..

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      67.6 KB
      Views:
  14. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

YEah, Mine's been a labor of love, I need to get some pictures for truck trader, but I spent 4 hours waxing/polishing it yesterday so it shines when people look at it. It was a fun toy for running in the hills, almost tipped it over on a couple of occasions. :D (Scared the crap out of the passengers):cool:

15. pedro quiroga

do you plan on playing 6 speakers thru a 4 ch radio?

you may have to wire 4 of them i series so it will be 8 ohm to the radio.

16. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

right! I didn't think of that..

17. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

How would one go about doing that?

18. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

If you're going to put all six speakers in then you should wire 4 of them into an 8 ohm load so the 4 speakers will be using 2 channels from your stereo. here's a guide.

So you take all 4 of your speakers and wire them like this in pairs of course. So in the end you'll have all 4 speakers ( 2 sets of 2) wired like this. Then your 6x9 you just connect straight into the stereo.

Attached Files:

19. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

WOuldn't it be bad to wire them as 8ohms though?

And why would I want the 6x9's to connect to the stereo? So they can get more power?

20. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

you stereo's load is at 4ohms. putting an 8 ohm load is even better. It's a lighter load so your stereo won't have to work hard to push all 6 speakers.

You had mentioned that you have 6x9's as well and i'm just assuming that you don't have an amp and would like to run all six speakers off the head unit.

You could run the 4 speakers into 8ohms for the front channels of the stereo and the 2 6x9's for the 2 rear channels.