Tweeter attenuation or re-mount?

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by Kryptokid, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Kryptokid

Kryptokid Full Member

Hello all,

I just picked up a pair of Boston SL60's for a great price. They are being powered off a Pioneer GM 6200F amp. These speakers are producing a great sound, very full bodied and smooth (sounds like I am talking about beer). I mounted the tweeters on the dash snugged against the door sail. I have let them "break in" for a few days and they really purr. The problem is even with -4db attenuation I still feel that the tweeters are producing more volume than their midbase counterparts. They are not too brite or sharp, they are producing great sound, they are just much closer to the ear than the midbass driver. I am considering one of the following options but am always open for suggestions:

1) L-pad the tweeters and try to get a more balanced front stage.

2) Relocate the tweeter to the door pannel, flush mount them and hope it will balance more smoothly.

Any input on my little predicament would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

-Me-

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

A few things you could do here. If the tweeters are on axis (pointing towards you) try moving them off axis somewhat. tweeters are directional in their radiation pattern for the most part, so this wold slightly reduce the output, but my effect imaging or soundstage, if thats critical to you.

An L pad would be a good way to go also, or even a custom built attenuation circuit. maybe another 3-5 dB on top of what they are already reduced, dont know for sure, thats what you would have to play with.

relocating them to the doors down by the midbass drivers may be an option too. Experimentation is key in this. If you want, exrtend the tweeter wires and temporarily place them in different positions within the car using souble sided tape.

3. Kryptokid

Kryptokid Full Member

The tweets are on axis and I really don't want to take away from their image. I think I am going to try to relocate them before I worry about blowing $50 on a couple L pads. Especially since it will only take a couple screws and pulling a little wire. The runs are already long enough, so I am going to give it a whirl. Good idea with the double sided tape. then I can really get a good feel without much work envolved.

Thanks for the help.

-Me-

4. TheViking

good luck, let us know what you do..........

Lots of different ways to achieve good SQ.

5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

You might want to try pointing them away from you. But try pointing them toward the center of the windshield, it worked for me.

Experimentation is the key, but as a rule I do not like tweeters that close to my ear pionting, at my ear.

6. Kryptokid

Kryptokid Full Member

Ok so I relocated them to the door just a little above the midbase drivers. It changed the imaging a little, but boston has created a fairly resilient component set because it still sound very well rounded. Still a little loud on the tweet, but better. I think I will still try and get my hands on a couple of L pads when I can find some and see how that works out. anyone know of a good online source, my local shop is out until next month.

-Me-

7. getmoney420

getmoney420 Full Member

wats an L pad?

8. Kryptokid

Kryptokid Full Member

quick definition: A couple resistors wired inline after the amplifier to produce the effect of a volume control so you could lessen or "Attenuate" the tweeter decibels without effecting the midbase driver.

9. getmoney420

getmoney420 Full Member

u guys r too complicated, i'd just turn the bass up on my hu & turn the volume down, that way even if the tweeters r too close to ur ears the volume level is down and since the bass is up it makes up for lowered volume so u'll still love & notice ur mids

10. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

But that isn't real sound quality

11. Kryptokid

Kryptokid Full Member

By turning the volume down you are also turning down the output of the midbass drivers. In doing so the tweeters would still be producing more sound than the midbass at just at a lower volume. This has nothing to do with the volume control on the HU. It doesn't matter if the volume is at 10 or 30, the tweeters will still be out of balance with he rest of the stereo. By installing an l-pad inline on the tweeter you can turn down the output of the tweeter without effecting the balance of the other components.

Hope this helps

-Me-

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

13. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

14. TheViking

LOL!!!!! you are gunna have him googling like crazy!!!!!!!!!!

15. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

That is my intent

16. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Lol...nah I didn't google it...I just went to partsexpress.com and it was the main "special" they had on the main page lol....hell I don't care how it works...I'll never use one anyways.

I like my setups simple....very simple....couple sets of coax's and some subs...the end for me lol...I'm happy