Tuning Amps

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by innovative, Dec 4, 2010.

1. innovative

innovative Full Member

I am trying to get my stereo tuned in and am not having any luck finding anybody near me to help out. I am going to try and tackle it myself but first would like any input than anybody might have for me. I want it to be as loud as possible by I do not want to comprimise my equipment or sound quality in any way. I want it to last for a while. I guess my first question is how should I set the gain on my amps. Should I unplug one and adjust the other one and then vise versa? Thanks in advance.

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

As a general rule of thumb, turn your radio up about 3/4 of the way with some of the musical content you typically listen too. Then on each amp, one at a time, turn the gain up till you just start to hear audible distortion, then back it off just a touch. That will get you in the ball park.

3. Old School Fool

Old School Fool Full Member

What Viking said. Start at the lowest gain and go up. Generally the lower gain setting the less noise and distortion.

4. innovative

innovative Full Member

I have another question in regards to my amps and speakers. One of my sets of components up front are rated for 70w rms and 140w max. My amp running them is rated at 40w rms yet my gain is only set at about halfway. Why is it that I am not able to run a full 40w to my speakers without them sounding distorted? Would I gain anything to bridge the amp running those speakers?

Sorry for all of the questions, just trying to get a better understanding on all of this.

5. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

The gain of the amp is not directly related to how much power it puts out. It is merely a way to match the input voltage from your radios rca outputs. If you were to bridge the amp it would most definately increase the volume to your components

6. innovative

innovative Full Member

Thanks for the information, I didn't realize that. I thought it was directly related to the amount of power the amp was producing. So should I try and bridge my amps for my components? Here is what I have:

Crew cab pick-up

Pioneer DEH-P920R Head Unit

Eclipse EA3532 5 channel amp running:
    Focal 165VB components up front
    Boston S60's in the rear
    and a 10" Pioneer premier sub

Soundstream 305 5 channel amp running:
    Boston Rally RC51's components up front
    and a 10" Pioneer premier sub

Will I see much difference if I bridge my amps for the front two sets of component speakers? I listen to hard rock and want as much volume as possible but not sacrificing sound quality.

Thanks,
    Innovative

7. monster71

monster71 Full Member

Bridging will give your components more power meaning louder. But it doesnt mean better sound quality. That depends on many things including music source (mp3 player vs CD, etc). EQ settings play a part as does use of loudness buttons, Crossover frequency settings and bass boost. What I m saying is ur going to have to play with what you have until you find the sound you are looking for. Tunning is the fun part. :)

8. innovative

innovative Full Member

If I bridge my amp I believe it will be producing a 2 ohm load. Is it ok to run my 4 ohm speakers off of my amp then?

9. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

Most amps are not stable at 2 ohms when bridged,they are 4ohms when bridged normally.You'll be fine either way,you can put a higher ohm speaker on a amp,but not a lower ohm speaker:If your amp is 4 ohm stable when bridged you can't run a 2 ohm load to it., but you can run a 8 ohm load.I hope I'm not confusing you,I'm just trying to help.

10. innovative

innovative Full Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Just trying to get a handle on this before I start messing with everything. It sounds good now but I cant leave well enough alone. It might come back to bite me.

11. Old School Fool

Old School Fool Full Member

Its all good. I cant keep from changing my set up even though it rocks.