Today We Hope, He Finally Gets Respect

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by sandt38, Oct 5, 2004.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I will move this to OT in a bit, but I felt we need to show the man some respect...

Rodney Dangerfield, the bug-eyed comic whose self-deprecating one-liners brought him stardom in clubs, television and movies and made his lament "I don't get no respect" a catchphrase, died Tuesday. He was 82.

Dangerfield, who fell into a coma after undergoing heart surgery, died at 1:20 p.m., said publicist Kevin Sasaki. Dangerfield had a heart valve replaced Aug. 25 at the University of California, Los Angeles, Medical Center.

Sasaki said in a statement that Dangerfield suffered a small stroke after the operation and developed infectious and abdominal complications. But in the past week he had emerged from the coma, the publicist said.

Clad in a black suit, red tie and white shirt with collar that seemed too tight, Dangerfield convulsed audiences with lines such as: "When I was born, I was so ugly that the doctor slapped my mother," "When I started in show business, I played one club that was so far out my act was reviewed in Field and Stream," and "Every time I get in an elevator, the operator says the same thing to me: `Basement?'"

In a 1986 interview, he explained the origin of his "respect" trademark:

"I had this joke: `I played hide and seek; they wouldn't even look for me.' To make it work better, you look for something to put in front of it: I was so poor, I was so dumb, so this, so that. I thought, `Now what fits that joke?' Well, `No one liked me' was all right. But then I thought, a more profound thing would be, `I get no respect.'"

Dangerfield is survived by his wife, Joan, and two children from a previous marriage.

RIP Rodney... you made me laugh a thousand times over

2. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Man, that sucks. I loved his movies, and his stand up. He will definitely be missed.

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

The world needs more men like Rodney, bringing happiness and smiling faces to the world - especially in these days.

Even now, sad as this news is - when I think of Rodney, and what he's done, it brings a smile to my face - and that's an accomplishment that I hope he can look down on the world now with and smile himself, with pride, realizing how many people around the world share this sort of respect for him. B)

God bless Rodney, and those that he inspires. :yes:

4. SteamHammer

SteamHammer Full Member

Rodney will be missed. Easy Money almost made me pee my pants I laughed so hard. :lmfao:

RIP Mr. Dangerfield

5. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

Caddy Shack might be the funniest comedy ever. And though Jim Carrey is the current king of rubber face, this guy was making some hilarious faces 25 years ago.

Jay Leno didn't give him a farewell last night, so I'd imagine he will tonight (as he always does when a popular comedian dies). He absolutely worshipped Rodney (he considered him the best stand up ever), so I'd imagine it will be tear-filled. He'll definitely be missed.

6. joelsbass

joelsbass Full Member

:eek: :(

that sucks... he was truly a great man and will be missed... i think i need to go watch "back to school" now