Time to Upgrade the Sony H/u...what do i need?

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by ajackson141, Jul 29, 2011.

1. ajackson141

ajackson141 Full Member

Its time to ditch the sony and get something with more balls. I dont want to watch a movie while I drive and I dont need my car telling me where to go..I just want it to play music...cd's and a lineout for my Ipod... I have a JL 300/4 running two sets of alpine components..x's and r's...Will 4v pre outs make a huge difference compaired to whatever the sony puts to my amp?

2. shriver187

shriver187 Full Member

what is the model number on ur sony???

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

absolutely. the more pre amp voltage means you don't have to turn the gain up as high as with a lower voltage head unit. when cranking the gains you run the risk of amplifying any unwanted noise like alternator whine.

but it can also be install dependent as well. if your line in's(rca's) and or speaker wires run too close to the power/grounds it could also induce noise.

4. ajackson141

ajackson141 Full Member

Its a CDX-GT50W I think I bought it new on ebay for like 135.00 shipped.

I would like to have an alpine headunit...seems like im really gonna have to spend some money to get something that puts out 4v.

5. shriver187

shriver187 Full Member

interested in pioneer? cuz i can get u a 4v output pioneer for 180 brand new

6. ajackson141

ajackson141 Full Member

whats the number on it? Id like to look it up...

7. shriver187

shriver187 Full Member

deh--p8300ub

8. ajackson141

ajackson141 Full Member

no thanks, I can get it for less on ebay shipped. Thank you for the input though...I prob. never would have looked into pioneer. Does anyone else have any input on this? Are the 4v pre outs gonna make a big difference in the overall sound?

9. shriver187

shriver187 Full Member

those companies wont give u warranty.. so be careful.. and yes a 4 volt output will be better for an external amp..

10. monster71

monster71 Full Member

Im a bit late on this but check out the Kenwood Excelon 494. Nice little unit. Play n charge Ipod. Front ipod and aux connectors. 3 band para eq. 3 sets of 4 volt outs. 24 bit analog conversion.