Time For Something New...

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by slvraccrd02, Dec 13, 2003.

1. slvraccrd02

slvraccrd02 Full Member

Hi, I've been reading this forum for quite some time and I thoroughly enjoy the educated posts and responses that I often see. Now, on to my question, I currently have 2 - JL Audio 12W6v2's in a dual sealed enclosure with about 1^3 of airspace per driver. The driver's are currently being powered by a Tsunami db1100. I would like to try something new, and was tinkering with the idea of going with a single Brahma 12. What type of recommendations can you give me in regards to enclosures; sealed or ported. Also, whether will I hear a sonic difference in the vehicle in terms of sound quality between the two drivers, the 12W6v2 and that of the Brahma 12. I have heard from different people that JL developed the W6v2 line with many of the technologies that they developed for the W7. Therefore, I am assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) that the W6v2 shares the same motor topology that the W7 has, but just in a smaller scale. Taking that into account, what type of sonic difference will I hear between the two drivers?

Just take into account that this is not a brand vs. brand question. I ask this question because I have not met anyone in my area that owns a Brahma 12, so I have not been able to audition one. The rest of my system consists of JL Xr 650 components in the front. They are biamped to a 300/4. The front components are highpassed at 63 hz, and the subs are lowpassed at 63 hz. Thanks for any responses or recommendations.

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Welcome aboard. That is some beautiful equipment you have listed up there, and a great choice for an upgrade!!!

The Brahma will remain more accurate at higher excursion levels then the W6V2. Another thing to consider is the Brahma has a differant sound to it. The W6V2 are punchy woofers, and a bit fatiguing to me (hey, I'm an old guy). I prefer a more neutral, laid back output. It is very transparent where the W6V2 will let you know it is there.

The JLs have a CA sound to them, the Brahma has a high end HT sound to it.

Also, what do you cross your subs at? The W6V2s roll off higher then the Brahma does. The JL XRs are capable of a low enough cross to use the Brahma, but I'm interested in YOUR personal preferance.

3. slvraccrd02

slvraccrd02 Full Member

Thanks for the response! I have the subs lowpassed at 63 hz. I originally had them at 80, but I felt that the bass was being pulled towards the rear of the car, and I also thought that it made the JL's sound a bit too punchy for my tastes.

In my listening experience, the JL's have an excellent upper frequency response in bass in the enclosure that it is currently in, but the bass in the lower octaves seem to be lacking energy. How does the Brahma respond to a sealed enclosure, and if I am going sealed what size box would you recommend that I put it in? Also, if I were to put in a ported box, what size and tuning would you recommend for SQL?

4. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Sounds like you and I have similar tastes. I am looking at your equipment preferances, and reading your brief reviews of the drivers, your current settings and reasons you chose them and I am thinking... Damn!!! This dude is gonna love the B12 ;).

To me, flat responce down below musical information is VERY important. The "downfall" of the Brahma is it's natural rolloff in the Midbass region. To me, that is not the subwoofers job, it is the MIDBASS drivers job, so therefor not a downfall. I mention that because it is why I asked where you crossed it.

I too felt 80 Hz drew too much behind me, and really created seperation. I have since crossed the Midbass to 50Hz and the sub at ~65. Amazingly neutral, smooth and transparent.

The Brahma 12 sealed will definately go lower then the W6V2, and sound more natural doing it. With 1100 at your fingertips, a foot sealed would be great. That will provide enough low end to move your insides, and the ability to sound like nothing you have ever heard in your life.

Ported? I have tried a couple enclosures and have been very pleased with the current box in my car. It is 1.9 feet tuned to 23.5 Hz. Amazing depth, and very tight. This thing sounds better ported low then almost EVERY sealed driver app I have heard. If you are looking for a more "perfect" ported enclosure, 1.5 at 24Hz would provide a TIGHT group delay. However, port length in such a tiny ported enclosure is VERY long, and just not very realistic, or I guess what I mean is not really worth the work required for such a beastly port.

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

By the way, where do you live? I may have a customer, or know of someone who lives nearby who may be willing to let you audition the Brahma.

**Edit** Holy crap!!! Irvine CA? I used to work at the Irvine Garage. We were located right at the main gate of the El Toro MCAS. Wow man, small world. **

6. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

I have my B10 crossed over at 78 Hz at 72 dB per octave, and it doesn't draw too much behind me. :p

7. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I have my B10 crossed over at 78 Hz at 72 dB per octave, and it doesn't draw too much behind me. :p [/b][/quote]
    LOL!!! Yours sits in the center console though man... Some of us have our drivers in the back :p

8. slvraccrd02

slvraccrd02 Full Member

Stephen, I checked out your webpage and that's a pretty crazy cool install you got there...the ultimate up-front, in-your-face bass setup. How do you keep your dash from vibrating to pieces? Anyway, thanks Sandt38 for all of your suggestions. From your description, I think I will try your ported setup when I get my sub. First, I need someone to get these JL's off my hands.

9. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Yes, it is... Stephen is a nutcase. Certifiable audiphile grade. B)

Bear in mind, slvraccord02, I'm a long-time JL fan (I'm still running three 10W6's that are 1st gen product... going on their 9th birthday... I run JL's 6.5" XR comps in my Civic along with them, and a 10W0 in my Nissan truck with the line-array install...)
    I'm also co-founder of a new manufacturing company... where we also have a 10W7 and a 300/2 and 500/1... we're JL fans, for sure.

But we're licensing Adire's XBL^2 technology to use in our own drivers... it's an impressive experience.
    The best way that I can word it's cleanliness of SQ is that the XBL^2 motor simply ensures that almost regardless of enclosure, the motor keeps the cone in exactly the position it's supposed to be in, with respect to it's waveform. It's an accurate-motor technology. The flatness of the BL curve is impressive on paper, but it's another thing to experience. The inductance is also very low, which additionally minimizes distortion.

On the other hand, the only W6V2 installs that I've heard were very ho-hum, far from impressive... and I was quite excited to hear my favorite woofers were being replaced by "new and improved" units.

Without a doubt, I'd take a Brahma over the W6V2's.
    Where do you live? I have a feeling you've got some forum enthusiasts near you, that you could audition from. B)

10. slvraccrd02

slvraccrd02 Full Member

I agree with you, those first generation W6's do rock, in fact I still have a pair of them in my closet. I too have been a long time JL user, in fact my very first subwoofer was a 10W0, and I don't think the 300/4 will ever leave my car.

I am now quite excited in regards to the Brahma 12 and I can't wait to purchase it. I am located in Irvine, a city in Orange County and relative close to the seaside. I live in Irvine because I go to school there, University of California, Irvine. This is my last year there, and will graduate this year with a Bachelors in Criminology. I originally started as a Computer Engineer but switched majors during my 3rd year in college, which defaulted me to the five year plan. Do you guys know anyone that would like to buy some used, but well taken cared of W6v2's for a good, cheap price :D

11. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Drop them in the for sale forum... Who knows, nice speakers should go quick. Also, if you are considering a B12, you may want to consider an elite membership ;).

12. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

True, true... $5 Xmas special on an Elite membership here, buys you a $10 discount at Seth's shop, an authorized Adire (and Better Audio :D ) dealership.

13. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

who is seth? what is his web site?

14. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

15. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Yes, I am Seth... I think :blink:

Click the link (the bouncing one) right below in my sig to go to the store.

I offer special discounts for Elite Members here as well as the $10 coupon (they can be used simultaniously too).

It is my way of giving back to CAT, and the people who make this such a great place :yes:

16. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

17. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

You had better watch out hobbes 'fore I come over there and put you in an armbar :boxing:

18. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Look! Proof!

better watch his sales tactics.... wont letcha leave until u spend $$$ or he breaks your arms and legs! :bash: