this is screwed up

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by psycho_maniac, Jul 8, 2007.

1. psycho_maniac

psycho_maniac Full Member

Ok the stereo in my truck is a piece of crap. It cuts out sometimes and the volume don't turn down when i want to..Ill press the button it will go down the the noise wont.. anyways i figured id rewire it i did. I noticed the guy who had the truck before me had the orange and red wires together. Im like wtf and just taped the orange wire over because i dont use it. Anyways i have to talk on my cell phone in my truck because i have bad reception at my house. Im screwing around in my truck turning on the lights and noticed the DASH LIGHTS dont work.. so im thinking what hapened in my truck lately and at the last min i remembed the orange wire. Now im thinking thats crazy why would that matter. so i just put it back like it was and TADA my dash lights work. also another screwy thing is my cd player comes on also when i turn on my headlights OR have the key in. Also i put my old deck i had in my car in my truck now and the sound is much better. its a old sony something. i love that deck. just thought id share a story since its a horrible stormy day here.

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

it could be worse.

it could be me.lol

good luck with that

3. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

That is a horrible story, maybe you need a new deck and your lights burned out haha

4. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

That's weird, it's almost like the orange wire is getting power from the deck or from the red wire when you twist them together. The orange wire in your dash may need power instead of putting out power, easy way to tell is with a voltmeter. I would unhook the deck. Then get the lights working without the deck then make a new ground to shiny metal, the deck will have a yellow and a red wire, one is for the battery-power all the time, this keeps your radio stations and all your settings, and the other wire will be hooked to your ignition wire, so that when you turn the key back, your stereo turns on. You will definitely need a voltmeter to see what's going on in the dash.

5. psycho_maniac

psycho_maniac Full Member

Another reason this could be funked up is because i got a alarm system in this truck and i got sensors all over the dang place. seriously the guy who had this truck is a moron. also i forgot to mention i had about 5 bare wries just going to nowhere under the hood for a pair of kc lights i took off. somehow the funker connected them wrong so they would end up killing the battery. im glad i own this truck now as i take pretty decent good care of it.