tapping wires

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by cccullen, Nov 6, 2008.

1. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

ok, i have to help a friend install his stuff in his bimmer and i'm going to have to tap into a lot of wires.. should i just solder? anybody have any good links? I'm asking because all of the tapping will be done in the trunk and I want it to look really clean. I'm really just used to rewiring everything but this time I can't do that so i have to tap.

Need some help here.

2. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

just use butt conectors and loom.

3. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

if i do it that way then i'll have to cut the wires then. if he wants to put it back to stock again that may cause a problem, wouldn't it?

4. jonnyv713

if he wants to take it out then he can cut em and splice em again.

5. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

i'm sure we don't have those here. I guess i'm just going to have to cut and use butt connectors.

Another question... BMW are a real pain in the a$$! the midbass and tweets are crossed over in the stock amp itself (no crossovers up front for the component speakers) so what i'm going to have to do is wire two channels of the amp to the midbass and the other two to the tweets. I'm going to need three LOC's right? one for the sub, one for the tweets and one for the midbass??? is there any other way a can do it without using 2 LOCS? i already have one (the owner bought) and he just left for hong kong so i'm wondering if i can rig it up any other way?

6. jonnyv713

i ate thos splice things. never impressed me, i always buy cars and find something wrong because an accesory has been added, and i always find those things bein the problem.

7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I agree with ranger on the t-taps. I was going to suggest them but couldn't remember what they were called.

9. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

I ended up just using butt connectors... I only installed one loc of the sub amp, am i going to have to buy two more locs for the 4 channel amp? there is no crossover so i have to wire the tweet to two of the channels and the midbass to the other two channels. is there any other way I can go about doing this without using another 2 LOC's?

10. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

they don't have them here. is there anyway to do it without using a loc?

11. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

too bad the amp doesnt have speaker inputs

12. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

i know... what i ended up doing was I just installed the sub with the PG amp. I had some space issues because my friend loves to play golf and he needs the trunk space. He's not around so i just couldn't go crazy so i just mounted the amp on the back of his very small sub box and installed one LOC. the bass can barely be heard from inside the cabin because BMW trunks are really sealed very well. It does sound good, blends very nicely with the MB quarts but it's not even close to being a bass monster. lol

I'll let him here what it sounds like now and if he wants more then i suggested to him to buy two more LOC's and i can install the amps where the spare tires goes so it will be hidden and he'll still have a lot of trunk space..

13. pedro quiroga

is venting the bass thru the rear speaker cut outs an option?

or mounting the sub in the rear deck.

14. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

i was able to cut two holes in the rear deck. actually they are perferated holes. It didn't make much of a difference though. Man, bimmers are REALLY insulated.

15. pedro quiroga

they better be, they cost enough:D

16. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

that's true. well, the car is back with the owner now. i only hooked up one amp (for the sub). he got it last night and told me he really wants to hook up his DLS amp to his MB quarts. SOOOOOOOOOOOO, this saturday i'll be working on it again. I have to ad another loc, distribution block etc. shouldn't take that long. we're taking the spare tire out and we'll put the amps there so it will be hidden. I'll take some pics on saturday to show y'all how it went...