suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by iroc4me2, Jun 14, 2011.

1. iroc4me2

iroc4me2 New Member

using a swr1243d(12"alpine 1800 watt/600 watt rms 4 ohm) in a scosche se12cc sealed box. The goal is to eventually run a pdx-5 on the four stock mounted speakers (replaced with type r's) and the sub, but the $400+ price tag on the amp is steep right now.

Im debating just buying an inexpensive or used amp just to get it running. So my question is, first, is the PDX-5 enough to power this sub? Second, im not sure what to do on the temporary fix, is any other amp going cost that much less? Or is buying something else just a waste of money? Any suggestions on amps if the PDX-5 isnt enough? Im an alpine nut, just a heads up.

Thanks in advance for any help. Dont know if it matters or not, but the type r speakers and sub are all 4 ohm, and my factory amp (2005 impala) is set up for 2 ohm speakers, hence running the speakers off another amp eventually.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011
  2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i would buy an amp that will power my sub with the power you need now, not get one and try to sell it later.

you have a few options though...you can buy a fairly large 2ch amp and bridge it to the sub now to get the most power to it, or.. buy a 4ch and run the front and sub.

then later save up for a good sized sub amp. and run the 4ch to your 4 mids/highs.