Subwoofer Enclosures

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by kaptan, Dec 6, 2002.

1. kaptan

kaptan Full Member

me and my dad (well mostly my dad) are relatively good handymen.... we could build a box but i dunno how good it would be...well i know we could make it like its supposed to be, like in sandys tutorial... but im buying 2 IDQ 12's and (for me) those are gonna take a good chunk of change, so i want to get the best out of them with a good box.. and sound domain has some for like 50 bucks and other places even cheaper, i think they're just particle board.... and these MDF's for 80...im sure i could find a better price for them as sound domain is a bit pricery than alot of less known places....so should i build? get the partcle boards? or get the mdf's? im not spending to much more then i hafta....now just for fun....i'll tell you what i'm getting for my jeep so far....... 12" IDQ's for the subs, like 122 a peice.... a JBL 600 watt amp(i read it puts out 750) for 195 and free shipping.... and a JVC KD LX30 for 159 (its refurbished). its got an el kameleon (spelling?) face, 4 volt gold pre amp puts to the front rear and sub, and a bunch of other wicked stuff... then I'll prolly save for quite a while and get some Image Dynamic Components for my front speakers and possibly disconect the back speakers to create a better sound stage...as suggested by BlkX....i know i said i didnt want that much bass but im going with 2 woofers because it'll be cheaper to get a 600 w amp now, if i ever did wanna upgrade, and i want to make my bro jealous...haha

2. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

If your dad has power tools handy, building your own box should be simple. I can give you the specs to my box if you like. My 12's are in a .95 cu. ft. enclosure after displacement and they sound great. My box is also custom-built for an SUV, so it might fit quite well in your Cherokee. Lemme know...

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Build it yourself. It is easy and you get the satisfaction of saying "It's custom," and knowing YOU built it. Sealed enclosures are very forgiving, and I suggest you build a sealed enclosure first, well, you need one so NOW is the best time to do it. Follow the tutorial and feel free to hit me up here, CAF, SInet, and AIM. I would be glad to ehlp.

4. phatman444

phatman444 New Member

specs for box

I found this post and I actually need specs for that exact box. I am putting it in an SUV and my 12's require .95 cu. ft. of space.

5. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

They key to building the right box is making sure that you tailor the box to the speakers. Each Brand of speaker has different spec's on how much room it needs. I find that you get better all around sound in a bandpass (you guys are gonna flame on me sooooo bad!) But that you get much tighter response from a sealed enclosure. And I personally prefer a ported box because I like that really low rumble that you can acheive when you allow the subs to move to thier full potential. BTW.. homemade bandpass boxes are very difficult, but well worth the effort. I built an 8" bandpass for two daytons, and it was ungodly how well they sounded. bandpass boxes really come alive in a trunk. I like 15's, cause I want everyone to hear my music:D

Build your own box- then it becomes more than having a system- it becomes building, then. You need to do your homework, and take lotsa pics also. It's well worth the time and effort, and then you can have a good feeling and a good sound..
    ps..jbl amps kick ass, I love my 1201.1

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006