Sub questions

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by BigDeaner, Dec 31, 2006.

1. BigDeaner

BigDeaner Full Member

I am looking to do some upgrading to my Tahoe and I had a few questions about picking out the right sub(s). I want some nice sounding bass, but I don't need anything thats going to shatter glass. I was thinking about two tens (alpine type R) or maybe just one twelve or even a fifteen. As I said, I don't need anything mind blowing, I listen to a wide variety of music (from rap to classic rock) and I want crisp, clean bass without alot of distortion. The question is, what should i do? Save my money and buy one tweleve or go with two tens? Is a fifteen the answer?
    I already have the bose in door speakers and I'm keeping the stock CD changer, so all I need is Box, Sub(s) and amp.
    Thanks in advance
    Dean

2. ibanezFreak87

ibanezFreak87 Full Member

Just plain ol bass? Well then all you need is one 12. or two 10's. depends on how much room you want left in your trunk. if you want to have lots of room left in your trunk, then look into a JL stealthbox - they sound SOOOOOOO good.

but alpines (type r's) are fine. just make sure you get an amp that will match up RMS watts to your subs. get a mono block sub amp and 4 gauge wire. that should do the trick

3. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Alpine's new LAT systems are made for vehicles with big open spaces like suvs, wagons, and hatches

4. BigDeaner

BigDeaner Full Member

Nice setup Ranger, I'm jealous. I wish I didn't need my trunk or I'd be more willing to drop some serious dough and do something like that. Unfortunately, I need some trunk space and I'd like to keep things a little simpler than that :)

5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Then I will get serious, I would consider something behind the factory panels. You would be suprised how much room there is behind them panels.

Or you might wanna consider something by ProBox
    http://www.proboxrocks.com/superbass/11240SPB.shtml
    Its 40-inches wide and not to deep, so you will have plenty of room. Its ported and these boxes work well.

There is also room for a moderately sized amp under the back seats. Because the seats flip up, you will have easy access to the amp there.

6. BigDeaner

BigDeaner Full Member

7. BigDeaner

BigDeaner Full Member

8. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The reason I suggested ProBox is the quality of the box, these boxes are super well made and they work. I really think the ProBox would work better than you expect.

The Pioneer amp and speakers are OK, The box is just a run of the mill bass speacial box, they are pretty cheesy.

Pioneer (Kenwood and a few others) may advertise 800 Watts, but realistically its much closer to 400 watts or less. ( My 800-watt Kenwood is actually 280-Watts RMS)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  9. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The box is everything. With the right box, speaker choice becomes academic. And with a ported box, speaker choice matters even less. At tuning frequency the port does all the work, The speaker is just there to move air.

I put a system in my son's car for Christmas, the speakers are Power Bass and the amp is a Power Acoustic PS2-820. But the Box, I built.

[​IMG]
    This Thing Is Ridiculously LOUD

He has already seriously embarrased a friend of his who has 2 JL 12W3v3 powered by a Fosgate T8002.

His friends dad spent a lot more money than I did and my son's system completely (no competition) blows it away. But like many kids, he really believes that product name is everything. WRONG The box is 90% of your performance.

(my digital camera took a dump, I was gonna get a couple of pictures)

Almost forgot, I used PowerBass speakers because there was this thread, where someone was trying to figure out whether MTX was better than JL. I made the remark that Neither were any better than Power Bass. So I used them and they work well, this box Rocks

10. BigDeaner

BigDeaner Full Member

Appreciate all your help man. I've been poking around on the internet trying to figure out what to do and you have taken everything and spelled it out for me (thanks, I needed that). Again, I thank you for all your help and I'll try and post some pics when I'm done in the coming weeks.
    Thinking about getting 12" super bass box... the 40" one.

11. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

My recommendation would be the same as ProBox (I've installed a couple of these boxes). Choose a good effecient speaker and an amp that will meet or slightly exceed the RMS rating of the speaker.

Tuning, With loundness off and the bass set to 0 (on your radio) turn the amp bass boost all the way up, then adjust the gain to suit your taste.

I've put one of these boxes in a Chev Pickup (early 80's truck) and one in an Explorer. In both cases I was really impressed.

The Explorer used a Planet Audio Vortex speaker and a Power Acoustic PS2-820. The Chev Pick up was customer furnished speaker ( Audiobahn) and Amp (Profile) Again, in both cases the trucks were loud. (please don't consider a profile amp)

The Power Acoustic Amp http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=powps2820&store=&catid=8048

Saw this on another thread http://www.millionbuy.com/kenkac8152d.html

12. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Ranger wont steer you wrong....he is a good guy.....

13. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Hey Viking, I was gonna put Planet Audio Speakers in that box, remember, but I was so proud of my son starting college I bought him a laptop computer. They had some on sale just before Christmas, $399 got him a Toshiba with 1.5GHz processor, 80Gb SATA Hard Drive, 512 Mb RAM, DVD RW drive and a wireless card.

Anyway cash was scarce, so I figured I should practice what I preach. So $29.95 per woofer and that thing bangs. According to BassBoxPro, Power Bass rolls off a little sooner than the Planet Speakers but it makes up for it by peaking 2 dB Higher than the Planet Vortex. The Power Bass has slightly better excursion and according to the program it maintains control all the way to 26 HZ ( The Planet was at 28Hz)

Anyway have a great new year and have you played with BassBox Pro yet. I told you it was a pain to use

14. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Ya, I have played with it off and on, very good program! I still need to "practice" with it a litle more though!

15. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Damn Ranger....I was wondering whatever happened to that box of yours for your son.

Haha makes me laugh when I hear stories like that...30 dollar speakers outdoing 180+ dollar speakers

16. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

And it all went so smooth. Sunday, the day before Christmas, he went to church with his girl friend (baptist :eek: ). Anyway, instead of going to Church (Church Of Christ :lol: ), I took his car went to the shop, put everything in and got home before he did.

Anyway he was suprised Christmas Day.

Thats what I keep saying, its all about the BOX

17. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I know it is all about the box.

My friend who thinks he knows a hella lot more than I do about car audio was with me one day while I was working on my box that you built, Ranger. And he asked what the specs were and I told him around 4.3 cu ft tuned around 40hz. He was like "dude that is kinda bigger than the recommended size."

I said...yeah but just wait man...I knew he was thinking that it would sound like ass and not be loud.

But when I was finished I let him hear it and he was like "damn it sounds pretty good and is pretty loud".

I was like "uber pwnage"

18. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

hmmm...never heard of power bass speakers....well once.some flea market installer was trying to sell their componants to a friend of mine.they were cheap enough.

30 apiece is a bargain.might consider them for a friend. he's looking for a cheap set up.

19. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

They may be cheap but seem to be well built. The pair I have are '06 models. The surrounds are thick, really thick butyle rubber and the cones are very stiff and solid.

One word of caution, there are cheap (price) and then there is cheap (quality). To see the difference you need to see the speaker. The main thing I look for is a stiff cone. The speaker CAN NOT make bass if the cone flexes.

Near the surround, from the back side, push on the speaker with one finger. The entire surface should move. Now if only a small portion moves around your finger, its too flimsy to make bass. Avoid it like the plague.

Now I have seen speakers with cones so stiff, that the salesman actually hit it with his fist hard enough to knock you and me out. NO Damage To The Speaker What So Ever. I bought that woofer and its still in my truck today. We started carring Polk Woofers right after that.