Sub problem...

Discussion in 'Home Audio Talk' started by Lazy Eye, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

Ok well my Dad is letting me use his Home Audio System which is from about the 1980's, and he purchased them at Radio Shack. But don't let that fool you these 4, 8 1/2" subs will pound. The bass boost I keep turned on 0 and it will easily rattle my windows and the electric box on the ouside of the house without any problem. And that is with only 2 subs on. The brand is Realistic. But now they are starting to mess up. 2 of the subs wont do anything at all now? Like they don't make any noise what so ever when plugged in. And one of the other ones is now starting to make a little clicking type noise whenever it hits and it can be turned down really low with bass boost on -6 or -8 and still do the same thing. Please help me out......
    Thanks in advance,
    Lazy Eye ;)

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

take em out of the box and see whats going on in there. chances are they just got old and something in them just broke.

3. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

that clicking sound is what HT setups do when the independence load is too low. those 4 subs are all 2 ohms and when ure usin 2 instead of 4 its 4 ohms instead of 8 which is what alot of receivers are stable to.

i would do what pedro said and just take em out. it could be that a wire in the box just fell off.

4. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

well I took them out of the box and everything looked fine inside and I even plugged the 2 that wouldn' do anything at all into the other box and still nothing... And Jonnyv713 they are actually 8 ohm...
    Thanks
    Lazy Eye

5. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

So Any More Ideas On What It Could Be?

6. pedro quiroga

broken tinsel lead.? get a multi meter and see if you can read an impedance on them.

7. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

Is tinsel lead the wire that runs to the cone part of the speaker because that is kinda pulled a little loose on 1 of them.

8. pedro quiroga

bingo! you found your problem :eek::(. it may be broken then.

9. pedro quiroga

go **** yourself!!!:mad:

10. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

sweet how can I fix that? but on the other sub that keeps making that clicking type staticky sound what could that be???

11. pedro quiroga

its broken too or ready to go. sorry but they are done dude:(

12. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

gosh dangit:(

13. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

get some new eights from partsexpress?