speaker wire gauge

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by getmoney420, Oct 4, 2006.

1. getmoney420

getmoney420 Full Member

my interior speakers r gonna b handling 100rms each, wat gauge speaker wire should i get & which will reduce noise most?

2. amb7247

amb7247 Full Member

I would go with a 12ga wire. As for what kind. Personally I dont think it matters much. So much as it's oxygen-free since you don't want corrosion in the copper. Partsexpress.com has like 50' for like $34. I'd take a look.

3. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

12 gauge is totall overkill.......just run 18 or 16 gauge........100 watts aint squat, and the smaller wire will be more than big enough and easier to run and connect too.....

And if anyone thinks that bigger wire on the speakers (other than high power subs) makes a difference, your crazy!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

I invite anyone here to do some critical listening with different gauges of speaker wire and listen to see if you can hear a difference. I bet i could do a run of cheap wal mart 20 gauge wire to a set of high end component speakers and another set hooked up to the BEST 12 gauge speaker wire available, then do an A-B comparison and you WILL NOT hear a difference, especially in the car!!!!!!!!!

think I am kidding? try it..................................

4. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I agree with Viking....16 gauge is sufficient for pretty much most applications even for subwoofers...

As for oxygen free copper...that makes no difference...wire is wire!!!!!

Factory wiring will last as long as the car and it is not oxygen free...that crap is just for marketing

5. TheViking

Just wondering here, If the copper has no Oxygen, how can it breath???

6. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

the rubber outer coating acts as a snorkle and air, through osmosis, comes through the semi-permeable membrane and cools the wire off as well as letting it breath or else it would suffocate and die

7. cool9

cool9 Full Member

Oxygen free copper manufacturing process produces more pure copper, resulting in slightly higher conductivity. Oxygen conducts electricity you stupid pussie. Or should I use the word "retarded". Would that be stealing from your extensive vocabulary? I wouldn't want to do that to you, 1/2 brain cell.

8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

You got served

Seriously there will be no sound quality difference between oxygen free copper and normal copper.

Taken from this site....haha I win...Don't fight it cool9...nothing personal but OFC is bullsh!t marketing

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/cableconstruction.php

QUOTED FROM THIS SITE

"Oxygen-Free Copper

Many cables today are advertised as using "oxygen-free copper," copper which has been annealed in an oxygen-free atmosphere. OFC is popular in audio cables, and has begun to make inroads into the video cable market as well.

We all know, of course, that oxygen is bad for things made from copper. Copper oxidizes and turns green and flaky; in so doing, it loses its high conductivity and begins to fall apart. But the amount of oxygen present in conventionally annealed, non-OFC copper is so tiny that it simply isn't a factor in cable quality. We have cut into pieces of Belden coaxial cable twenty-five years old that have been used in radio transmission applications--and found them clean and bright, completely lacking any sign of oxidation. Modern coax is better still, with nitrogen-injected foam dielectrics that keep oxygen entirely away from the center conductor.

As it is with silver, there's nothing wrong with OFC; but electrically speaking, OFC wire is indistinguishable in audio and video applications from ordinary annealed copper wire."

You just got PPWWNNEEDD

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  9. TheViking

Excellent!

So if my system is having a hard time keeping up with the amplifiers power ouput, I guess I need to install an O2 bottle in the trunk with a regulator and pressurize the cable to about 90 psi, so as to create an oxygen rich atmospherre that allows the wire to breathe better an make it perform better due to its enriched enviorment....ya, that will work!!!!!!!!!

I wonder waht would happen if I fed the wire some sulpher dioxide or metheyl ethyle cetone and a little bit of acetylene????

10. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

If you did that you would have a net gain of about 30 decibles...both the sulfur dioxide and the methyl ethyl cetone and the bit of acetylene would increase the amperage load capability and draw free energy from the chi of everything in and around the car feeding the amplifier 100 percent pure energy so the amp will be running at 300 percent effiency putting out 3000 pure watts...but also as the mixes of gas slowly leak out of the wire the subwoofer's power handling increase by a factor of ten and sub sensitivity raises to 200 decibles at 2.83volts 1 meter so the highest spl will be an outstanding 190 decibles beating the pioneer truck with a billion dollars worth of time and equipment...and all of this done with under a grand.

11. TheViking

Again, Excellent post AZN...... your knowledge of car audio and electronic fusion transfer is beyond reproach, I must say this however, the radioactive isotopes in the bi-linear convection of the speaker wire i am using is creating a isometric vapor lock of conductivity when the pressure exceeds 8.4 bar.....this is only evident at altitudes in excess of 3,451.94432567 feet...any lower and the system stability is in unison with the cetone mixture. is it due to the slight variance of altitude or is it due to the harmonic resonance of the subwoofers interacting with the variable acoustic plenum in the rear spoiler?????? it is causing a peak of 247.8 dB at 37.451 Hz.....which is rather annoying to the nieghbors in the next state over.....

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

So...basically....sorry Cool9 but oxygen free copper is a load of bullsh!t...the end no further discussion.

Also...pwned

13. TheViking

hey man, i am serious!!!!! I need to upgrade my wiring for the speakers, also want to know if injecting plasma ions into the power wire will stabilize the magnetic flux component in relation to the cooling vector drive of the inductive voice coil propulsion accelerator????? But only when voltage of the High tension coil is exceeding the flux capacity of the thermal thyrisitor ramp up curve.

and will this make my sytem louder and sound better? i am using a 1983 Kraco analog tuner/tape deck with auto eject and tone control, i also installed the sparkmatic 40 watt sound exploder to drive my jensen triaxials, It hits well over the spl of a boing 767 at 2.3 inches measured at the jets intake stream....at least thats what my freinds tell me, so it MUST be true...

14. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Dude I'm all out of ideas....maybe if I was drunk all the time I'd have better suggestions like you have Viking but damn...lol your use of vocabulary far exceeds mine...I give you props for that