Solar Panels

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by electrolytic, Jul 6, 2012.

1. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

sup my longtime internet friends! Been a while, i bought a solar panel from canadian tire for $50.00 it puts out 19-21 volts dc. Im looking to convert the dc voltage to ac voltage and put a house outlet on it so i can plug in regular things. Planning to buy more and link them all together but just got this one for now to see how it works. It can also be used to trickle charge your car battery, i think will be good when im sitting with the car off and radio going too, might save me some gas lol, shouldnt have to run the car so often. I don't have my big system installed so its just the factory for my car. 1997 chevy lumina. Any suggestions for what i can do with this, im all ears lol

Attached Files:

2. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

hmmm, seems like micro inverters for solar panels are thousands of dollars, maybe i just go with this and buy like 10 panels total.
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/SolarPortablePower/Inverters/PRDOVR~0111846P/MotoMaster+Eliminator+3%2C000W+Power+Inverter.jsp?locale=en
    MotoMaster Eliminator 3,000W Power Inverter

546745-0443.jpg

Converts 12V DC battery power to 120V AC household power for convenience and flexibility

Ideal for running virtually any electrical item found in a home - including washers or dryers

Quiet alternative to generators

Attaches safely and easily to deep-cycle batteries

Digital display for monitoring battery voltage and load wattage

Receptacles with dedicated breakers

Automatic shut-down for protection

USB port for convenient use

Remote control switch included

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

you said it puts out 19~21v. thats too much for a car batt to handle. how many amps will it put out at full power?

4. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

hey pedro! wohoooo how ya been? Ya that's weird right but it comes with three different ends you can plug in, a set of battery clamps, a cigarette lighter plugin and a plug like powers your laptop. Also it says its for cars rvs etc, its in the shade right now pushing 22 volts and i have it plugged in my cigarette lighter with my radio on and car off. Will take some more pics and post some more info a little later. I dont think its many amps maybe .1 .2, the wire is very thin.

5. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

i think i need this too, then hook like 10 panels together, Ten 12v car batteries or smaller ebike batteries 12v rechargeable, and that 3000 watt power inverter. Yes? lol I dont have $6000.00 or more to do this properly so trying to do the cheapest route.

Blue Planet 30A, 12V Solar Charge Controller

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/Green/EnergyConservation/RenewableEnergy/PRD~0111891P/Blue+Planet+30A%2C+12V+Solar+Charge+Controller.jsp?locale=en

The 30 Amp digital charge controller provides maintenance free protection of your solar panels and batteries

Required for solar power systems

Handles up to 30A current or 500W of solar power

Prevents overcharging of 12V batteries

Works with both lead acid and gel cell batteries

Battery voltage or charging indications are shown digitally and are easy to read

546745-0445.jpg