So, Is My Tsunami Subwoofer Kaputt?

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by TheSSG, Aug 28, 2004.

1. TheSSG

TheSSG Full Member

So, aroudn December, I bought a 1100dB. Luckily, I got it before they sold out. ANywho, I get it in, and I notice the mounts are already screwed in...and there is a screw on the bottom stripped...
    So, I'm thinking to myself..."Must have been refurbed, and then returned."

So, I've been leary about it since then.

Ok, I FINALLY have gotten my install complete. Comps, AMps, Sub installed, turn it on. Comps (MB Quart PSDs off my Orion 8004) sound Amazing, Sub isn't working...My Friend goes, "What's this red light mean?"

So, I turn off my Headunit(Nakamichi CD-400), and turn it back on. Now the sub works! YAY! All is well.

So, at this point, 50% of the time I turned on my HU, the sub would play, and I could turn off the HU, and turn it back on, and then it would work. When it wasn't working, it was in Protect mode.

Needed to fix my box, so I do that, and Today I reinstall.

pzzzt, Fuses blow...I'm thinking, "What the hell!?"

I check all my wires, check the grounds(Which I had already rechecked earlier and applied Di-electric grease to them), check the speaker wires, etc. All looks well. Add extra fuses in, and pzzzzzt, they all pop.

So, i think, must be my gain, so I set it to 6v, and add more fuses, and try again.

Pzzzzt. So, now I'm out of Ideas. I've just gone around searching all the forums I frequent, and I'm thinking it's a bad power supply.

This wouldn't suprise me, as I think it's already been refurbed. ANy ideas?

Otherwise, that Refurbed 8002 on Ikesoud would match my 8004 real nice :)

Oh, and my Tsunami db4440 works flawlessly...

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

well it still should have a warranty depending on where/whom you bought it from

3. TheSSG

TheSSG Full Member

Yeah, I think I'm going to give them a call on Monday, as I think they're probably closed on Sunday.
    One year Warranty, so I've still got a few months left.

4. objext

objext Full Member

You bought it new, and when you received it found signs of previous use, and said to yourself, "This looks used, oh well!"

?

5. TheSSG

TheSSG Full Member

Yes. They were sold out immediately after I placed my order. I was under the impression they were good amps. The only thing I could have aimed for was my money back, but I figured the Amp would be ok.

Heck, if it works, I don't care if it's new, used, or refurbed.

The other thing was, at first I didn't know it had been used, I just thought it had a stripped screw. When I ordered my dB4440, and got that in, and saw that one has to attach the feet his or herself, that's when I realized my 1100dB must have been used. Like I said, this normally wouldn't have been an issue, if it works. Now that it doesn't, I'm a little upset. This also makes me lose confidence in their abilities to fix their amps. But, we'll see what they say tomorrow.

6. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

They're decent amps, jsut use cheap components to keep their costs down. Kidna the trade off, I've sent both of my tsunami's in now, and my 1100 just went out again. first time my 1100 went it was getting really warm, and then going into protect mode. this tiem It did what my 4440 did and just suddenly popped it's fuses. Turnaround is fast, but don't expect communication. The one guy I always speak with's got barely recognizeable english (middle easters of some sort I think) But he WILL give you a RA (which is generally the day of your call's date) and tell you to send it in. I usually see them back within a week and a half so VERY impressive turnaround.

7. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

So wait, they go out all the time but they are good amps? Sorry but thats a sign that they are a POS to me. I would never buy an Avionixx product again.

8. TheSSG

TheSSG Full Member

That's my thought exactly. I haven't had the time (Damn school) to call them, so I may E-mail them, but I DO NOT want to keep taking this thing out, shipping it, waiting, and then putting it back in. I don't have a garage, and I live in N IL, Winter's a whore.

So, I'm going to swap it for either a Brutus BX1000D or an Orion 8002, haven't decided which yet.

I may either send the Tsunami in, and then sell it, or just sell it broken. Either way, I think I'm going to start the bidding at $50 :)

Stupid amp... <_<
    it's the only weak link in my system, so that's why I'm going to just replace it...

9. TheSSG

TheSSG Full Member

Oh, and another thing:

I thought the Zeb was supposed to have an awesome pricematch...

Now they only pricematch Authorized Dealers.

I mean, I understand exactly why, it's just I thought they did ANYONE.

Did this change recently (I know a few other policies did) or am I crazy?

10. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Well good as in sounds good. I agree entirely, it's fuggin rediculous to have to kep senging the things in, but for the buck I can't complain toomuch. Generally from what most ppl's experiences are, however after you've sent it in it'll come back with better guts and last alot longer. That said, as soon as I can afford it, there'll be something else powering my stereo.

11. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

the world of Online Sales is Changing

Much like everything Online..

1> You either Buck up and Go authorized and deal with the manufacturers. Part of that is Only Matching prices with other Authorized Dealers. SD can get buy with it alot of times because of the Buying Power they Employ, Sadly the Zeb does not have said buying power. Dont Get me wrong I am sure they do their fair share of business, if not they would not be allowed a online dealership, however Power Houses like SD and Crutchfiled still have the Marekt Cornered, With that said I have Heard SD is becoming more Stricked on the Price Matching as well.

2> Close down

3> Get Sued.....

and in the Climite that is the New Internet with DMCA all it takes is for a Manufacturer to send a Copyright Notice for use of their pictures and they can have your site taken off the internet if you use a Hosting Service. Which Most do...

12. PolkMM

PolkMM Full Member

they used to...i dunno now...sounddomain will price match and theyre a much better company than the zeb(from personal experience)
    sometimes SD wont price match...i guess you just have to catch the right person on the right day
    -Cody

13. TheSSG

TheSSG Full Member

Yeah, SD also does the Authorized only thing.

I just sent the Verdammt thing in. It'll be easiest for me to just be patient, and put it back in, not to mention I'll save some money.

But here's something I always wonder about unauthorized sales:
    It really is only hurting shops. If I buy an Orion amp from ebay, instead of my local shop, Orion gets their said $ value either way. The only difference is markup. The way the grey market runs, it seems like the grey-market dealer is really just taking a cut in profit in an attempt to increase the number of sales. Maybe it's just me, but this doesn't seem wrong to me, it's not like the manufacturer is getting screwed out of money. And I wouldn't mind it if shops weren't around, I'm DIY. I'm sure they'd still exist in places where one cannot practicaly install his/herself (like in a large city, where people do not have driveways/garages). Hell, it's capitalism, and this is capitalism in it's purest form, the same product, the only difference is price.

14. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

No. Not really, Returns Go up due to Poor Installs (which is not only because of Ebay, but there are morons out their that should not install anything and buy Unauthorized Cuasing Higher Return Rates it is a True Fact.....)

Plus it is not as Simple as you think for Retail, Manufacturers Dont just sell the Product to the Dealers and that is all

Not in ANY market. Hell my whole Full Time job is a MANUFACTURERS REP.. meaning I go in to stores and basically look out for the manufacturers I rep for. Making sure the products are stocked, and out for the Customers, Making sure any Promos are Up and out, all Signs are out ect.

In reality the Manufacturers are just as involved at the Customer Level as the Retial Stores are.

That is the sad thing about a Price Driven Market....

you want a Lower price and you dont care how it happens.

What you dont understand is for every Drop in Price, Someone Somewhere loses a Job...

That is the Fundmental Reason for Job Exportation --- Lower Prices.

in this case. every Thing you buy on the Internet cost a Local dealer a Sale, In therory. if enough people did that. everyone at the shop would be out of business..

Now the Question comes in is "is the Shop worth buying from" if the awnser is no.. then who gives a rats ass...

My Point is that it is not as "black and white" as you would like to believe..

Retail is a Big Machine. All parties Manfacturers, Rep Groups, Dealers, all work together to sell as much as possible

I am not saying I am all for the Manufacturers either, Some of them brought this problem on themseleves long ago, and could have stopped it before it grew this far, but like everyone they were afraid of Change.... Some of them Still are

15. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Well put.

I used to manage a bikeshop that lastyear had to shut down partially due to "global economy" etc, and this exact kind of behavior. Thing is now that everyone who would come in and test ride, and pick our brains for hours, only to go get better deals elsewhere is deprived their "hub" and the knowledge of ppl who are genuinely passionate about what they do, of course they all complain about "well now what will I do when..." Brought it on yourself sir, I hope that $10 you saved is worth it to you.

Now then, I know it's not always that straightforward and cleancut, and I know for a fact that alot of retail audio stores are staffed with jerkoffs, but sometimes it's worth giving them an honest chance. Sometimes it's just much much better to put on your blinders to the perception of a sweet deal. Somehow whatever you're purchasing, you managed to justify affording it, and I'd be willing to bet thet you could still afford it even while paying a more normal retail price for it. Often times your'e ahead of the game anyways due to warranty/grey market issues, etc.

Not trying to preach, just sorta struck a nerve with me. But honestly consider all of your options, Thouroughly...

16. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

Right, if their is one thing for certin in the world is that nothing os cut and dry...

The shops that are good, are not in it for the money, they are in it because they enjoy is, the money is a bi-product. Those Shops are the ones that are also more willing to "wheel and deal"

the vast majority of Prices are set at X percent over Dealer List per Manufacturer Guide Lines
    But if you go in their wanting to Drop $1500 on a full system you can wheel and deal with those prices, Unless the shop is not "good" then you walk out and spend you money elsewhere...

No you can say "only buy authorized" or "only buy unauthorized" because there are good dealers on both sides and bad dealers on both sides.

17. texcon

texcon Full Member

Adding to this, throughout my life as a "consumer", I have run across many stores/shops/merchants that I really enjoy dealing with. Once I find such a place, I tend to be VERY loyal because to me there is more to the customer-seller relationship than just thr transfer of money and goods. The knowledge and support I gain from certain sellers means a lot to me. I would much rather pay a little more to get a good product AND good service. It's not always about the Benjamins.

18. PolkMM

PolkMM Full Member

but if you order from an un-authorized dealer then they dont have the warranty to cuase higher returns...right??

19. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

again not true

to the End Consumer the warranty would be void, if they contacted the manufacturer directly, but that does not stop returns from travaling up the same distribution path that they were sold under, that I how I sold online unauthorized and still had warranties ;)

I buy from Person X, Sell to Person Y, Person Y returns to me, I return to Person X person X returned to Manufacturer ;)

20. PolkMM

PolkMM Full Member

ahhh...ok
    -Cody