Seth Help!

Discussion in 'Car Repair' started by nismo, Apr 6, 2004.

1. nismo

nismo Full Member

my challenge is to see if youve ever heard of an air conditioned intercooler. i stumbled across something about it a year or 4 ago :lmfao: and havent seen it since. i found http://www.decolabs.com/ but its not what i remember seeing. what i saw was actually an intercooler and had the A/C taps built into it already.

any ideas?

thanks,
    eric

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I am sure they work great. While I have never seen something exactly like that I have seen some setups utilizing the same basic principal. I have seen guys with water/air intercoolers curculating ice water with an electric pump, dry ice dropped in an intercooler, and nitrous vented over an intercooler (rather than being injected into the inttake, a purge valve evacuated on the air/air intercooler). The end result is all the same. Cooler,denser more oxygen rich intake air. Definately a power booster ;).

3. nismo

nismo Full Member

any idea where i might have seen this stuff? i dont remember anything but the pictures :)

eric

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

My question would be related to the efficiency of such a system...

That air conditioner compressor is quite a leach on your motor, I'm not sure what sort of HP losses you really end up with, but it's noticable enough on most cars that you can get into scary situations where you expected a certain amount of "oomph" from your car when you step on it - and instead it feels like you are about a gear higher than you should be... not good! :eek:

And obviously, cooler air is denser air... the job of the intercooler itself is simply to cool that air...
    Cooler denser air resulting in HP increases.

So...
    My question is:
    How efficient can this system be?
    Can it even result in a temperature decrease resulting in enough of a HP gain to even justify itself? :ph34r:

I've seen nitrous spray bars set up in front of an air-to-air intercooler, for a shot of "cold" on demand... the expense of a setup like that is simply that... expense to refill the bottle.

5. nismo

nismo Full Member

well, the thing with the supercooler is that there's a delay on the cold charge...so you can put a WOT cutoff so that when you need the power, it shuts off the a/c and you still get a bit more a/c out of it before it runs out of steam.

eric

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

You are right. In fact, you are so right, all computer controlled cars have a WOT cuttout built in ;) .

Nizzy, try turbonetics.com . Maybe Spearco? Garret? GReddy?

I don't honestly know. As I said, I have never seen anytthing quite like it.

7. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

It doesn't sound like it would be difficult to build, except for that little detail of getting through the firewall...
    But the idea of buying a very expensive air-to-air intercooler just you you can try to fabricate a cover that intentionally seals off the air intake side so you can cup an air-conditioning duct over the whole surface of it (not to mention drilling through your firewall) doesn't seem like a cheap experiment.