Sealed or Ported? Fi Q

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by eazy, Nov 19, 2007.

1. eazy

eazy Full Member

I'm getting either an Fi Q15 or Fi Q18. I can seal or port the Q15, or seal the Q18. What do you guys think I should do? My past 3 setups have been bandpass (crappy audiobahns) or ported (kicker cvr12's), I've never had sealed.

2. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

hey eazy, i have your old speakers kicker cvr12 lol, will give em a shot

Q Series:

Available options and what they do:

Currently no options available other then Dual 1ohm or Dual 2ohm coils. But stick around we may come up with new ideas for this series to make them even better. This is currently our ‘Sound Quality’ woofer in the lineup if you are wondering.

Enclosures:
    Q 10 – We recommend using a sealed box in the neighborhood of .2-.6 cubic feet of volume (after all displacements for those wondering).

Ported box we recommend using .5-1.2 cubic feet from 28-33Hz tuning with ~15 square inches of vent.

Q 12 – We recommend using a sealed box in the neighborhood of .8-1.5 cubic feet of volume (after all displacements for those wondering). (I personally think that 1.2-1.3 cubic feet is optimal imo)

Ported box we recommend using 1.8-2.5 cubic feet @ 28-33Hz (I personally think that a 32hz tuning is optimal, and has the most output and is still the most musical daily driving). Use 12-16 square inches of vent area per cubic foot of volume.

Q 15 – We recommend using a sealed box in the neighborhood of 2-2.6 cubic feet of volume (after all displacements for those wondering).

Ported box we recommend using 2.8-4 cubic feet @ 28-33Hz. Again use 12-16 square inches of vent area per cubic foot of volume.

Q 18 – We recommend using a sealed box in the neighborhood of 4-8 cubic feet of volume.

Ported box we recommend using 6-10 cubic feet @ 28hz tuning, you can tune a little higher if you wish but we recommend keeping it under 32hz. Again the same 12-16 square inches of volume applies per cubic foot of volume.

"borrowed from here" Something for your Reference!!

Q Enclosure Recommendations - SSA:

3. eazy

eazy Full Member

Yeah I can do the Q15 in 2.6 cubes, the Q15 in 4 cubes at 33 Hz, or a Q18 in ~6 cubes.

4. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

i'd go for the 18", you weren't happy with 2 12's so might as well go big and be done with it. i'm going to pump the crap out of these kickers then get a cerwin vega stroker next year and be done with my system lol. Way too much money spent and burnt on crappy crap lol. Cheaper is not cheaper in the long run.

5. eazy

eazy Full Member

I'm building a 2 chamber (1.25 cubes per chamber) sealed box for the CVR12's. I'm selling the subs, amps, and box for $575-600 in the next week or two to a kid at my school. I was able to get 6 of the 7 box pieces from scrap MDF, so making the box was cheap as hell. I'll see what I think of the CVR's sealed.

The only thing is, I don't know what my next car is going to be, and an 18" woofer can't fit in any car lol.

6. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

i bought this for $100.00 let me know how your sealed turns out. I got that ED 18" to fit in my car lol, but it wasn't standing perfectly straight. It will fit if you design the box with the sub facing up, that's how i'm going to build my box for the cerwin vega stroker pro, even if i get the 12", for some reason that's best bass in that position in my car.

Attached Files:

7. eazy

eazy Full Member

I can put the Q18 in my trunk facing back, but in a small car I probably wouldn't be able to... I'd be forced to go sub up and I don't know how much volume I could get. I guess first I need to figure out the best sealed volume for a Q18.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  8. eazy

eazy Full Member

Some guys on the other forum I go on said 5-6 cubes net. I can accomplish that. So now, Q15 ported vs. Q18 sealed :eek:

9. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

run it through bassbox, you have the theile parameters? specifications or did we do this already.

I just got a wicked brainstorm LOL, These subs are like a dime a dozen but they are strong, the 400 watt ones, two is not enough... soooooo HAHA

This would be perfect for my orion..

Attached Files:

10. eazy

eazy Full Member

Doooooo it. You can get 05CVR12's for $85 shipped from techronics with a 1 year warranty.

I don't have bassbox.

Q18

DUAL 1 | DUAL 2

Fs: 24.5 Hz | 23.8 Hz
    Re: 0.7 Ohms/coil | 1.4 Ohms/coil
    Qms: 5.66 | 5.73
    Qes: .64 | .63
    Qts: .58 | .57
    Mms: 322g | 342g
    Cms: 0.13mm/N | 0.13mm/N
    Sd: 1210cm^2 | 1210cm^2
    Vas: 268 l | 268 l
    Spl: 89.7dB 1W/1m | 89.4dB 1W/1m
    Bl: 10.4 N/A | 15.1 N/A
    Xmax: 27mm
    Rms: 1000W
    Sealed box: 4-8 cuft
    Ported box: 6-10 cuft @ 28Hz
    Sub OD: 18.500”
    Cut ID: 16.750”
    Mounting depth: 10.000”
    Displacement: 0.24cuft

11. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

ok, dual 2 ohm your getting? only 1000 watts? Eazy you won't be happy, i know you're like me, you like it extremely loud, you need a sub that takes 2000 watts then you will be happy LOL and a good amp. I've had 1000 watts or more pumping into that 18" ed and it was cool but i wanted more still.

12. eazy

eazy Full Member

Sealed box: 4-8 cuft
    Ported box: 6-10 cuft @ 28Hz

I was told 5-6 cubes sealed would be best.

Now, I can also fit 6 cubes ported, but I doubt that's optimum. Which should I do?

13. eazy

eazy Full Member

Alright this ported box is going to be pretty different looking. The port is going to have to be on the outside to save volume.

Here is my trunk.
    [​IMG]

The main box will sit in the lower portion of the trunk in between the ledges. The spare tire will sit standing up, behind the box, more to one side. The port will hang over the ledge (in the picture I did the right side, but if the port on the driver side is better I can do that).

[​IMG]

It's kind of a strange concept, but I think that would be the easiest way to do it in my trunk.

14. eazy

eazy Full Member

I can't afford an upgraded alternator and a bunch of batteries... otherwise I would. I think a 1000-1100 sub amp and 400 watt mids/highs amp is about as high as I can go on a stock electrical system.

15. eazy

eazy Full Member

Forget that crazy box idea, it blocks off too much. There wouldn't be good sound wave travel.

16. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

i would put the sub facin up then the ports in the sides firing into the open spaces in the trunk but idk cause i am new at the box desing stuff

17. eazy

eazy Full Member

Well I think the only realistic options with Fi are the Q15 ported (4 cubes @ 28-33Hz) and the Q18 sealed (5 cubes). I don't know.

18. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

sub up???

I'd rather do sub back and port side

19. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

sub up kicks ass in my car lol, will this fit eazy, you have a nice spot there in your trunk

Each car will be different i'm sure though.

Attached Files:

20. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Something weird about that one graph, don't know why its peaking over there lol.

Attached Files: