S10!! S10!!

Discussion in 'Car Repair' started by Beauagain, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Beauagain

Beauagain Full Member

Well....I was way to intimidated to tackle the fuel injected 350 in my 85 El Camino. Then I had a 350 with nothing to put it in......

Problem solved.
    Got my hands on a 87 S10 short wheel base, regular cab.
    2.5 liter 4 banger with a manual 4 speed.
    Body is flawless. Interior is in awsome shape. Clear title
    $200 cash

Old mans truck. Had 43,954 original miles. He installed an oil pressure guage and didn't hook it up right. All of the oil shot all over the motor. The motor made it about 20 miles before it blew up.

It looks so easy. Back of the fuse block has 3 bundles. One for front lights ect, one for rear lights, and one for engine computer harness. (thanks to Pyro on S10forum for that info).

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Sounds good!

Further, I know that there are companies that sell kits for doing V8-swaps into S-10's.

You might want to look into that... it would be way easier to simply purchase new motor mounts, than having to worry about all the dynamics and clearances involved in trying to fabricate your own (not to mention the quality of the finished product).

I'm assuming this is a 2wd S-10, as well?
    If it were me, I'd cut that bed apart, C-notch the frame, weld in some wheel-tubs, lower that thing down to the frame, and give it that street-rod stance. B)

IMO, a cool motor in a vehicle isn't cool, unless the vehicle is also cool.
    ...that's just my opinion, but I've seen too many $500 clapped out Ford LTD's and Oldsmobile Cutlass's that someone bought "because it had a V8". :rolleyes:
    Trust me... there's no chicks to be had, going that route. Just sausage (and even then... a limited audience). :lol:

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

4. Beauagain

Beauagain Full Member

This is really just another project since i'm pretty much finished with my 454 el camino.
    I cant make up my mind what I want to do with the S10.

I have a nice daily driver with a TBI V6. I have a weekend cruiser with a 454 that see's some track time.
    I dont know if I want this to be a true track vehicle or another weekend cruiser.
    I got a little carried away already and removed the computer competely. If I cut too many wires i think i'll make it a 100% track but if the headlights, taillights, brakelights are salvagable....then i'll make it a cruiser. I'm really really bad with wiring. If I did cut too much....can the lights ect be wired to a homemade switch panel?

Seth..what do you think of the cast iron L98 heads? Some people have nothing but good comments and others say they are no better than the stock heads on the 94 silverado motor that i have. When I rebuilt the short block..i installed 12cc dish pistons because I was planning on using 305 HO head. I'm guessing with a thin gasket...i should be able to get about 9.5:1. I'm not really sure how big of a cam i can run with those L98's and 9.5:1......

Also....the 94 model 350 came with a factory flat tappet cam, but the lifter valley looks different than an older 350. Is it setup for a roller cam or would I still have to buy a retro fit kit?

Just to make this post a little longer. I'm having serious traction problems with my 454 Camino. It hooks pretty hard on launch but as soon as it hooks....it breaks loose. I'm guessing thats the suspension causing that...but would a tire change(bigger or smaller) help until i get some $ for the suspension?

5. systempimp_1500

systempimp_1500 Full Member

it came with a 4speed stick? I've never seen that combo on an s-10 before.

neato misquito. Then again, it's an 87. I guess the 4 speed craze wasn't over with

back then? :unsure:

Jeff