Run into a Dilemma ... assistance plz?

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by hatchetman923, Feb 1, 2010.

1. hatchetman923

hatchetman923 Full Member

I just bought a Planet Audio RXD 1400 and i have an older battery (from 06 i think) 65 DL duralast. I will be running 2 awg wire for it, but I'm thinkin i'm gonna upgrade my batt. to a Duralast Gold. The reason for this is bcuz My DL65 has 100 amp Reserve and the DLG has 150 Amp Reserve. I was going to buy a small battery and run it as well, but that puts me spending money i dont have. I dont think the second batt. is really necessary, because i would have to buy a new battery anyway as well as the second just to keep up with each other. Since i have to buy a new one, why dont i just buy one with a bigger Reserve Capacity? Is my train of thought correct?

2. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

From what I understand,the reserve capacity only plays in part if the car is not running.If you don't listen with the engine off,then I would add a second batt.(like kinetic,optima...),do the big 3(if you haven't done it yet),and possibly a ho alt.That amp with 160 amp fuse rating is going to draw alot of power.

3. hatchetman923

hatchetman923 Full Member

thats what i understand (draws alot of power)... I have a 130 A alt that came stock...

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

how much can you spend?

if you can get a good batt for under the hood first. the biggest you can fit in there is what ive been told before.

5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

That Planet amp has guts and its power hungry. And as long as it gets the power it needs it will perform for you. We always installed a battery near the Class D amps for best performance. And the Planet amps always worked really well for us.

So I will always recommend a second batt.