Replacing a 3ohm speaker - what to use?

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by STEREO STU, Feb 19, 2012.

1. STEREO STU

STEREO STU Full Member

I have an old mini active sub, ideal for fitting under the glovebox of my car and I was considering upgrading the internal woofer for a better sound as it is a paper cone and well over 10 years old so probably past its best.

The unit has its own amplifier and the speaker within has "3ohm 40 watt" printed on the rear. Its about a 6inch speaker. It is much better than I thought it would be and

Will I damage or affect the amp replacing it with a more modern 4ohm or 2ohm driver? I havn't seen a 3 ohm speaker before are they unusual?

I do have a speaker that looks like it will fit, but its a 5 1/4 inch (dual voice call?) speaker from a Volvo V40 factory sub (circa 2001 ish).

This Volvo driver (made by Phillips) has 2 ohm printed on the rear and two sets of speaker terminals so could this be wired up to the amp and if so how?

Stu

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

To be on the safe side I would stay with a 4 ohm, however a 2 ohm woofer should be OK, but again, I would want to stay on the safe side and stay with a 4 ohm.

Your Volvo speaker may be two 2 ohm voice coils, if so wire it in series for a four ohm load

3. STEREO STU

STEREO STU Full Member

So the positive from the amp to the positive terminal on one of the positive terminals, the negative from the amp to the negative terminal on the OTHER set of terminals and then a connection between the remaining negative and positive?

Stu

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

You've got it right