Removing a Sony head unit.

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by wild-bill, Mar 30, 2008.

1. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

Hello. My car has a Sony CDX-C5750 in it right now. I want to upgrade, but can't get it out. I assume the removal keys are needed?? If so, where can I get them? I called a couple of car stereo shops and they do not sell the removal keys. Thanks in advance.

Bill

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

can you show us a pic of where they would go?

if they are like my pioneer.maybe 2 slim metal peices about 4in long.

3. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

The last couple of decks I've seen brand new out of the box came with 1 pair of keys to remove them.

4. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

pics would be good.

5. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

Here's a pic. The keys pictured are ones I bought on ebay and got today. They were described to fit Sony radios, but do not work with mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

the keys doesn't fit inside the hole? All those keys do is push out a the metal frame from the stereo. Any thin piece of metal that will fit in the hole should do the trick. What kind of car do you have?

7. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

The car is a 1993 Ford Crown Victoria. The keys fit in the slots, but don't do anything.

8. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

if u really have to, cant u just take off the part of the dash that cover the screws that hold the mounting kit into the hole? then push little clamp things up and remove the whole assembly?

9. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

the HU kinda seems like it could be kinda jammed into the bracket piece.

10. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

it does look like it's pushed in too far. your best bet would probably be to take that part of the dash out and get it out like that. Those keys should work, jonnyv713 is right, it does looked jammed in there.

11. pedro quiroga

put the keys back in and slowly work them up and down while also pulling out.

my sis's radio was the same.took about 20 min's.

12. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

#1..

You're replacing the head unit, right? - so you don't care about it, right?

#2..

it's a sony, so I don't care about it -(lol)!

So, why not just drill a hole in the face, screw in a big bolt (or bolt in a big screw, or whatever), and yank it out by the screw, with some vice grips!

besides, when you buy a new HU, it will come with a new mounting basket, and it looks like the old one is a little mal-formed anyway..

just be careful not to hurt your car.

I have also used bent pieces of coat hanger and been successful.
    cut two pieces about ten inches long each. put a 1/8" bend on one end and a 2 1/2" bend on the other end of each piece. slide them in with the small bend facing down, and turn it so that the bend snags the HU, and then yank the booger out.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  13. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

I got it out today. Went to a car stereo shop and they charged a few bucks. The removal keys were the right ones-just was sticking them in the wrong slots. I've decided to keep the radio-nothing wrong with it. But i had to get it out to get to the amp remote and preamp outputs. I'm adding a small amp to the rear speakers and putting two 10's in the trunk powered by a 200 watt Blaupunkt. Thanks for all the help guys.

14. pedro quiroga

glad to hear you got it out.

15. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

16. pedro quiroga

nice.......