Question about speaker wiring

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by justaguy68, Feb 12, 2010.

1. justaguy68

justaguy68 New Member

Hello, I have a 2002 Chevy S10 Blazer Xtreme, and I am in the process of installing new speakers. After removing the stock speakers, (dash, door, and rear), I found the the existing speaker wires were a little to short to work with. So what I did was splice a short piece of speaker wire, about 2 inches long, to the ends of the stock wires. This made them long enough to work with. But now I am a little unsure if how I did this is going to work good. The extra piece of speaker wire that I spiced to the existing factory wires is quite a bit smaller gauge. Is this going to be okay?? The new replacement speakers I bought came with new wire with the plugs already on them. So I just cut the ends off, about 2 inches and then spliced them onto the factory wires to make them longer. And then I plugged them into my new speakers. Is there a problem with splicing different gauge of speaker wire together? I just want to make sure that it isnt going to effect the sound or anything. Thanks alot for any info.

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i think they will be ok.

3. agrimm34

agrimm34 Full Member

That should be fine. The main thing is just make sure you have good solid connections. I like to put a coat or 2 of tape around after I splice just to make sure there good and tight.

4. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

Also solder the connections, or use the splice connectors

5. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Dont forget the heat shrink tubing