Problem with newly installed amp and subs

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by pimfram, Aug 27, 2007.

1. pimfram

pimfram Full Member

i spent the better part of today installing a used system into my car, couple of 12 inch polk subs with a 75W x 4 bridged to 180W x 2 alpine amp. i have a solid power, remote and ground so im not sure what the problem is. the amp powers on and after a couple of hits from the subs the light on the amp fades a little bit and the subs cut out, only to return 3-4 seconds later. i do have some fairly in depth knowledge of car audio and im pretty sure the amp is correctly set up. i have also tried with the car running thinking it could possible be drawing too much power but the same thing happens. i have played around with the gain settings but this has no affect. if it matters i am using the stock head unit in the car with a line out converter.

any and all help is appreciated. thanks.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

whats the impedance of your subs?

3. pimfram

pimfram Full Member

the subs are 4 ohms.

4. pedro quiroga

huh..not sure then.

how big is your power cable?

5. mrmizcue

mrmizcue Full Member

do you have a good ground? Check it again to make sure it is not loose.

6. pimfram

pimfram Full Member

power supply is 8 gauge and the ground is good. i get 11.5 volts when running unbridged and when bridged with one sub hooked up, but when both are kooked up bridged, voltage drops and the amp cuts out.

7. danracer

danracer Full Member

what voltage do u get at the battery?? and is that w/ the car on??

8. mrmizcue

mrmizcue Full Member

hmmmm...not enough power getting to amp...
    1. bad battery
    2. not a good connection at battery or at fuse
    3. defective power wire

9. pimfram

pimfram Full Member

11.5 volts with the car running. 9.5 while not running which is the same as a 2 week old battery i just put into another one of my cars.

10. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

with the car running you should be getting at least 13.8-14.5 volts, your battery must keep dying? I think your alternator is toasted. With your system cranked and pumping i can see it going down to maybe 12.6 12.8 but would come right back up again. i would redo all the battery connections and check alternator charging wire connection first.

11. pedro quiroga

yikes!!:eek:.that is not enough to power run a head unit let alone an amp.

do like the others recomended.re check everything. make sure your conections are tight on everything.

where is your amp grounded?

12. pimfram

pimfram Full Member

i am giving up. i have a 340 watt 2 channel amp that works fine in the car so i dont know if the amp is a pos or what is going on but i have working subs so its good enough i guess. thanks for the help guys.

13. pedro quiroga

ok yes it is working but the voltage going to it is no enough
    it should be over 12v.

the next time it shuts down may be its last. we are trying to help you.

can you tell me how thick your power and ground are?

14. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

yeah....a brand new battery should REST between 12.5-12.8 volts

With the engine on the voltage should be ATLEAST 13.8 volts

how are the subs wired to the amp??

15. pimfram

pimfram Full Member

i think the multimeter may be mis-calibrated, i tried 3 cars and all three were about 12.0v with engine running so i don't think that 3 cars would all have the same low voltage problem.

power is 8 gauge and ground is 16 gauge speaker wire 2x.

the only working setup i can get with the alpine amp is running 2 of the 4 channels. whenever it is bridged it doesn't work right.

16. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

12 volts is still below battery voltage...when the car is running the voltage should be ABOVE battery voltage...if not than the car is running on the batteries power alone and the alternator is doing nothing

17. pedro quiroga

your ground wire sounds like its too thin.should be atleast as thick as your power wire

18. mrmizcue

mrmizcue Full Member

I agree with pedro...change the ground wire. Then take car to a car parts store...ie Autozone..or another chain.most of the time they will check your charging system for free ....thinking that you will buy something from them.

19. Jeffc879

Jeffc879 Full Member

i vote you upgrade the big three with all new terminals, sanded connections, and at least 4 gauge. i also agree bogging the battery down that low, would take a lot of amps, my power acoustik 2400d wouldnt even go that low on a stock battery.