Preferences On Motor Oil

Discussion in 'Car Repair' started by hobbes26, Apr 2, 2004.

1. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

What kind of oil do you guys use in your cars? Some of my friends say synthetic is best, others say it doesn't matter as long as you change your oil regularly... Some use a specific brand, Mobil1 or Motul, etc...

Anyone have any hard data on tests done to see which type and/or brand is better?

Seth, being a mechanic, what's your experience?

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

3. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Ah, the link doesn't really work, but I found your entry there...

I'll read up on the stuff... but ya gotta say that that site is kinda biased.... lol

4. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

personally I dont use synthic becuease of the Cost, and I dont feel for the average person it is needed, the added protection does not out weigh the costs

But I have always herd (and maybe seth can bach this up) if you go to sythic you cant go back or your enigne will smoke

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I've been using Castrol Syntec for a while, seems to work well...
    But honestly, it's not something you can "feel", if an oil is doing better or not... although, I've had some cars that I'd let go to sludge so long that you actually could feel a difference from changing the oil... heh :lol:

I have been using the synthetic because my Civic revs so stratospherically high... and because you really need to rev it that high to get the VTEC to switch into "performance mode".

That's not really the issue anymore, since I have the supercharger installed...
    But now, it's more of an issue of simply trying to take care of my motor as best as I can.

You should be able to switch back to regular motor oil...
    Blending synthetic and regular motor oil is no harm...
    The only odd thing that I've heard is that even though the viscosity of the synthetic is the same as regular motor oil, that the synthetic has actually a thinner consistency, and can leak out of places that regular (ie. thicker) oil wouldn't have... like viscosity oils. ;)

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

It worked for me :blink:

Truth is, that is all I use in my cars. Everything I wrote in that statement below was the truth.... And they gave me a nice Shirt too... :p

7. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

...interesting stuff...

maybe i should think about changing to synthetics in my new car....

8. Krelkor

Krelkor Full Member

I use Mobile1 5w30 full synthetic all year around
    unless i can find a good deal on motul, but thats usually double the price, well worth it tho. good stuff

theres no reason to NOT use synthetic
    walmart has a 4.4L jug of mobile 1 for 25 bucks canadian......