Posuers new install

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Poseur, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Nowthen, I'm really feeling the need to purge my audio setup and re-equip my poor car with something more worthwhile that I won't have to cringe when someone asks me about.

I'm thinking of a full new system here kids. I'm very interested in Brahmas and such, but amd fairly non-versed. Basically i'm looking for a decent SQoriented sub that'll get down and boogie when I feel like it. I need nothing spectacular, but my current setup is a 12" e12a.22 running off of a tsunami db1100. we're all intimately familiar with my frontstage, butyes. I'm pretty set on trying to get some new mids and hooking them up with my xovers and tweets.

I currently have my sub in a 1.27cuf before displacement sealed fiberglassed box that occupies the rear corner of my Protege 5 wagon (measured the volume by howmany 1litre cokebottles it took to fill it and then did the math) It fills the area behind the rear wheel well, and I'm quite satisfied with it's lack of space-invasion. I'm hesitant to build a new box as it was a rather lengthe process and labor-of-love, but I've also been looking for the excuse to seeingas it was my first-attempt and is somewhat different than I'd initially imagined. I would not be against going with a 10" sub and have also toyed with the idea of making a sub-floor slot-port setup while retaining the f/g blob in the rear corner. I'm hoping for a clean start here and am entirely open to suggestions.

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Poseur,

Due to the path that the other thread has taken, and it's length, I have chosen to move your post so it may thrive on it's own merrit, and it will not get overlooked. This is pretty important when you consider how quickly that thread is moving.

That enclosure would be absolutely huge for a Brahma 12, I hate to say. If you really want to try the Brahma in that enclosure with that power you will need to fill internal space somehow, maybe with some wood or something.

Even if you elect to keep that box I am quite sure the Brahma would blow your mind. If I am not too badly mistaken, a Qtc of .7 for the A series needs almost 2.5 feet sealed. With that being said, your current install is likely strangleing the A, making it midbass heavy, boomy, and yeilding even more poor transient responce than the big coil would normally yeild. Not to mention, even in a big ass box the A will struggle to get low. In that big of a box, the Brahma's extention would blow your mind... we are talking teeth rattleing low. TR would be crazy... particularly when you consider ease of excursion and recovery in the big box , and couple it with the drivers tiny coil yeilding that low inductance... Super fast. Considerably less power will be required to yeild equal measurable output... about 700 to 800 watts is all you would need.

Interested in a 10? The Koda 10 is likely the best SQ woofer out there right now. It's platform is really pure SQ. It would be very happy in that 1.27 feet with about 250 watts. It will not have the output of the 12A, as it not only gives up some in surface area, it also gives up a couple MM in Xmax. While the rearward clearance of the A will simply not allow the Xmax they suggested it offered with the spider they chose (I know, I know... you find it hard to believe they would stretch the truth, but sadly it appears so), it still has rearward clearance for about 21 or 22MM, or 3-4mm more travel.

For a less expensive unit, the Shiva would do well in that box with 350 watts or so as well.

All of these drive units can be had with a full 3 year warranty that, imagine this, the company stands behind... :ss:

3. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

what an appealing thread, this! B)

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

For something comparable to the A (superior even), the Brahma seems like a great choice... if you are looking to buy something today. :D

It's a big bad-ass sub that'll hit you like George Foreman, and yet have enough composure to almost make you forget you have a sub in the rear.

If you haven't read up on XBL^2 and it's benefits - do so! Adire's got lots of tech information on their website with regard to it (if I weren't headed to bed - I'd explain it now - I did on CAF, I could link to that later).

Another comparable technology is JBL's DDD technology, the GTi subwoofers employ that dual-gap technology, albeit in a much more expensive package, and without the same level of excursion gain... but it's also a fantastic sub when it boils down to it, just much more expensive.

5. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

I've sorta sniffed around at it all, but honestly I've never really had any discontent with this sub. thatsaid I very honestly could just not know what I'm missing. I DO know that it was quite an improvement over the various kickers I've had previously but that's about it. I really should make a trip over to my cousin's house and then down the street to adire perhaps, if they're hip to that kind of thing I guess. (My cousin seriously lives VERY close to them) At ay rate my take on subs is this; boom boom is good, but I'm not willing to sacrifice valued bike and boardgear space, so 1'ish sealed in a fiberglass box is what I have to work with. Soudns like a brahma 12 would be a good choice I'll have to see if I can put my ears to one.

Nowthen that aside. Amps are my next venture as well. They're not elemental branded but I did purchase them through eD and in general amps that myself and many others have had to send back for warranty repair aren't exactly high on my worthwhile list. I'm not against spending a bit of money, but I'm not exactly rich, I've bene pondering the new PG xenons. I guess I'll first ned to solidify what I'm looking for. If I wind up going to a 3-way setup I'm pretty sure I'll want a 4x100+w amp, ifnot many things would suffice. Infact I'll likely default to eclipse as they've got a 130w amp that I know I like and can seriously afford.

As far as a sub-amp goes. I'm really not that picky and it sounds like a brahma will need less power than I've currently got which is fine by me as well. I'm not a HUGE basshead, but I can't say I mind it ;) Thatsaid, I'm well aware that 1.6kw is not necessary

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Stop on down there and talk to Steven Kephart... slap him one upside the head for me :p . He usually is on here, but I haven't seen him in a few days. Maybe I'll give him a shout. Anyways, they love to have people come by and visit... and I have never heard of anyone disapointed in their little tour B)

7. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

For mids - I'd suggest probing around sites like www.madisound.com, www.partsexpress.com, www.zalytron.com, www.speakercity.com and checking out their 4 ohm, 6.5" drivers. Madisound and parts express in particular are good, as they often publish frequency response plots.

Something important to know as you look around: your crossover frequency. What is it, with that comp set? You need a mid that's smooth up to that point, and can go low enough to reach your subwoofer.
    You might be surprised at the affordibility of these items... you may wish to even buy two or three different ones, try them out, select a favorite, and sell the others on a forum somewhere, home or car. B)

8. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Okay, so what kind of sealed volume and power would I be ideally wanting for a brahma? I honestly have no problem building anotehr FG box. this whole fresh start idea's really appealing, whynot just re-do everything.?

9. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

10. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Okay, so I think I might want to try taking a stab at replacing my mids with something, anything else. I'm ideally looking for something similar to the units I SHOULD have been sold previously. Namely I'll want at least 150w power handeling. (which I WILL indeed likely over-drive eventually after I've regained faith in my abilities to use my own damn ears and judgement) I'm looking for 6-7" midrange drivers, actually up to 8 is okay as long as they cna keep up with the tweets, I wish I knew where the CDT crossovers are set, I'd assume somewhere in the 3khz range. I'd like these to sound decent down to about 60hz if at all possible, but I can bump that up if need-be. Obviously I won't have a ton of money to work with here, so let's just say I'd spend $100 on the pair.

ANother idea that I've been toying with ALOT lately anyways is a bi-amped 3-way setup in which case I'd possibly look for an 8"midbass and a 4" midrange or something. Oh, I'd also much like these to be capable of sounding decent IB as my doors are deadened fairly heavily, and skinned, but of course not 100% airtight, and that's be a huge enclosure anyway. I've tossed around the thought of making fiberglass "bubbles" to sit inside my doors and provide a sealed chamber for mids, but that's a whole hell of alot of effor that I'm not sure I cna talk myself into at the moment, prettymuch I jsut want to get somethign that sounds decent.

At anyrate I'm WAY too scattered to sit down and lookinto specs for everything, I'm sure you guys have done some research, etc yourselves, anyone mind sharing their findings? any possible reccomendations for me???

11. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

*sigh* If only caraudio was based around 8ohm, there would be WAY more options.

12. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

So far from my previous sources, etc, I've got offers for a set of JL vr's for fairly cheap, as well as a helpful vendor friend guy who's willing to get me a deal on real CDT HD's I'm still thinking I could do better for less though.

13. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

The VR's are rather ho-hum...
    If you had mentioned the XR's, I'd suggest them heartily.
    I'd go with the HD's of those you mention... but weren't the eDi's built off the HD platform? If I were in your shoes, that would only give me pause in the light of your failures (I've heard the HD's, although with the metal domes, and I liked them).

DIY is always a possibility...
    I like the idea of simply replacing your mids... the world is your oyster (I never thought that saying made any sense). :D

You'll be surprised what $50 can accomplish.

14. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Actually that's kinda my same impressions.

VR's are sorta a nice refrence speaker I find when comparing speakers, they'r ejust like vanilla, nothing special, but not entirely offensive. Hd's DO interest me a good bit, however because I've heared them before and liked them (though they were installed in a car and I didn't have any comparison handy) I'm not TOO concerned about cdt's really, because noone's realyl disputed my claims that the ed's are an entirely different speaker. They certainly look different aside from the basket. Magnets are much weaker on eD's version, and the cones are quite flimsy feeling.

I'm sorta excited about the ability to mix/match As I've stated elsewhere I was REALLY impressed with the tweeters, everyhting else was just kinda lacking. even the sheep's reviews of eDi's seems to point to their being kind of flat and lacking any low-end punch. (I've been comparing them to VR's but with a nicer tweeter actually) For mids, I'd LOVE to get ahold of set of Boston pro's going by what I've previously heared that I like, but I know for a fact those sets are designed to run 3ohms which would draw more power and eventhough they're supposedly a bit less efficient to theoretically make up for the difference. And really this may be optimal since my only gripe with bostons is their tweet that tends towards being a bit bright for my tastes. of course, bostons can't possibly be cheap. and It seems as though anything that I havne't heared already would really jsut kinda be a grab-bag.

I guess in the end I just don't want to have to go through and guess at things, etc. I just want some decent speakers so I can make my kickpanels and start tuning. I keep defaulting to the HD thing, thatway if I don't like them, I've got a set of HD's to sell or whatever.

15. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

Dude, i'm just going to repeat something i've heard alot about, so FWIW:

Go to partsexpress, and look into Dayton and some of the others, like Vifa
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=297-323

I have a feeling you'll find something you like. For the prices and the reported performance of the Dayton stuff, plus others, i highly doubt you'll be disappointed.

Although...

Have you considered the Koda mids from Adire?
    Talk to Sandt buddy, he'll take care of ya.

Are you set on a particular size and price?

Tell me what you need and i'll look around for mids, if that'll help you?

16. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

17. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

y'kno that vifa looks an AWEFUL lot like the eDi I just had except for it's got more of a magnet on it. cutout diameter's about the same as well, hmm.... I'm not kidding, the eDi's are pretty whimpy for magnets. Definately NOT the same as the HD's that I've seen.

I think I might look into getting some koda mids perhaps. I'll poke around a bit more. Who knows, I might just buy a complete system. This may depend on how good of a cdt deal I get, I've honestly not lost much cdt faith, I'm about 90% sure that the eD mids are simply CDT's baskets and that's about it, eD's cost-saving construction tookover from there. but I've also got a decent net-friend running HD's with generally a similar ear to mine who thinks they're a little flat for midbass as well.

Or y'kno maybe I'll just have a rich relative I didn't know of die drop me a huge inheritance, and then I'll buy a set of 3-way boston pro's *G* I need to kick myself, but I've got the 3-way setup thing just stuck in my head. Actually, that vifa might be a good midbass for a 3-way setup, I could run that and some form of 4" midrange. Ack, the more I think about it, the longer it'll take til I have something.

18. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

My only concern, when you mention HD's and Kodas is price, not quality.

You can find nice 4 ohm mids out there in the $20-$50 range, where the Kodas will cost you quite a bit more, and an HD set much more over that (and in that case, you've got an additional set of tweets and mids).

Perhaps this one from Vifa, or this one...both from Madisound.com, their Vifa catalog page. Those are 7", so possibly alterations would need to be made to fit them.
    There are others too, for affordible prices, they have a car-audio specific 6.5" drivers, for only $29 each.

Also check out this page:
    http://www.madisound.com/peerless.html
    (I had to break it out of www.madisound.com website's default frame setup... that's just the content of the main frame of the site)
    Scroll to the "autosound" section.

Parts Express also carries some good 6.5" mids, a few of them being 4 ohm...
    Tang Band makes some 4 ohm mids as well...
    I've bought Audax mids myself, when an old RF comp set that I had mechanically failed on me (glue let go).

Any and all of these might be good candidates to play with. :cool:

19. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

7's are quite alright with me, I'm already oversized without issue, and there's room to spare. I need to make baffles anyways to fit these in my doors. If this is the route I go, I'll likely endup just doing it 3-way style and getting some 5's as well to mount in kickpods. I figure I'll just bi-amp and use my hu's controls for starters I should be able to send 400hz up to the front channels and then bandpass 400-60 or so with my "rear"channels. of course I'd play with those points and slopes, but I figure it to be a decent starting point.

Mostly, though I've got an option to play with things, yes but in reality I don't want to have to, I'd like to be able to just have decent speakers so I can go about mounting and aiming and all of that wonderful stuff.

20. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

Seth, wouldn't his enclosure actually work pretty well for a 12" brahma? He did say it was 1.27 ft. BEFORE displacement. What is the disp. on the brahma 12?