Pioneer DEH-P6700MP doesn't always work when starting car

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by cork1958, Aug 1, 2012.

1. cork1958

cork1958 Full Member

I have a relatively new to me, 1999 Potiac Grand Prix with a DEH-6700MP head unit. Have a Kicker amp and sub hooked to it.

I can't figure out the secret code it takes to make radio come on every time I start the car.

If I go through this sequence:
    1. insert key
    2. turn key to accessory for a second or two
    3. turn key to start car
    4. once car is started, DO NOT touch a (electric) window button or anything else really
    5.pray radio comes on or else i have to shut car off, remove key from ignition, open car door so radio turns off (it plays for 10 minutes after turning car off or until door is opened) and then go through above process again.

I see NO kind of security setting or anything in radio settings. I've only had car for about 4 months and it has always done this, but seems to be getting worse, or I'm just getting more frustrated with it.

Is there anything built into a Pontiac Grand Prix GT that would make the radio act like that, or anyone have any suggestions for why this thing is wigging out like it is?

It's late for me and I at least wanted to get a topic started tonight so that by tomorrow, I can come back and make some sense of this for you all better maybe!!

Thank you

2. cork1958

cork1958 Full Member

Nobody has ever had this weird stuff (car is possessed) happen before? LOL

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

pull the head unit out and bench test it. who knows maybe its a loose wire behind the radio?

4. cork1958

cork1958 Full Member

Not sure what you mean by bench test it, but I have had the head unit out and checked/re-checked connections.

Still does it.