Pioneer DEH-P4400 - No sound, help please :)

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by Lougrandview, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Lougrandview

Lougrandview New Member

I've had a Pioneer DEH-P4400 for 10 years or so and love it. But, starting yesterday there's a problem. When I start my car, the head unit gets power - display is normal, and the unit makes beeps when I touch buttons like it should. But when the head unit powers up after engine start, I hear a quiet pop from all speakers and then nothing. No sound whatsoever. No matter what source is selected I have nothing. I initially shut down and re-started the car and I got the sound back, and it stayed that way until going home from work. The next day, starting the car for work, no sound. Restart the car, no sound. Try it 50 times, no sound. I pulled the head unit out, checked my wiring behind it - all is fine there. But then just an hour ago, leaving work I had sound again! But I shut the car off, re-started, no sound (and expletives). It's intermittent but not while I'm driving. When I have sound, it is solid, even over potholes and bumps, no connection issue apparent, same when there's no sound, there's nothing over bumps either. Just losing it or having it from startup to shutdown. Anyone have any ideas? Is it new head unit time? A bad ground that either grounds or is open only when you start the car and stays that way until you shut down... what? Anyway thanks to anyone who can give their $.10

PS I have no amps, just the head unit and new Pioneer front and rear speakers, basic setup.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. monster71

monster71 Full Member

I say time for a new one. 10 yrs of wear n tear will take its toll.

Another option would b to take it in to get repaired.

I like getting new stuff from time to time to get the newer features.

And thats my .10 cents. LOL.