Park Avenue speaker upgrade questions

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by plainjoe, Mar 6, 2012.

1. plainjoe

plainjoe New Member

Hello all! First post.
    I want to upgrade speakers in my 2000 Buick PA. It has 5.25" + a tweeter in the front doors and 6x9",s in the rear deck.
    I have decided to go with Infinity Reference.
    6x9" 3-ways would go in rear deck. I think just these will make quite a difference.
    I can't decide if I should go with a 5.25" componet, or just a 5.25" 2 or 3-way and leave the stock tweeter alone.
    How much of a difference would the componet make?
    Would it be worth the extra expense?
    Will appreciate all facts or opinions.
    ThankYou

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I have always prefered the full range speaker plus tweeter over the component speaker. In fact, thats how its done in my truck, my wifes car, my sons car and in a friends car that I installed this past summer. It just works.

Most components need an amp to sound their best

3. plainjoe

plainjoe New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    That does make sense. The stock tweeter must have some type of filter for just the high freq. but I do not think there is any kind of filter/crossover on the 5.25".
    Actually the stock door speakers sound pretty good, the 6x9"'s must be of lesser quality. They have some bass and mid, but the highs are barely there. The more I think about it, I will just replace the rear first. I think it will make quite a difference.

4. plainjoe

plainjoe New Member

Does anyone know if the speakers are flush or surface mount in the Park Ave? From the pictures it looks like the Infinity's could only be surface mounted.

5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

the speakers mount from the top, the rear package tray needs to be removed, replace the speaker and put the car back together.